Japanese character input no longer working!!

Since upgrading to a new Mac Mini (M1, 2020) with Monterey, I haven't been able to type in Japanese. I installed the keyboard options, but it only spits out gobbledygook. The standard phonetic typing system (kotoeri) doesn't seem to be in use anymore. Annoying, because I use Japanese for business, and now have to type all Japanese comms on my iPhone (iOs works fine!!). Does anyone know a fix to this?

Mac mini, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 6:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 9:05 AM

I have not seen any other complaints about this. Could you review the Japanese manual and post a screenshot of what happens when you try to type a simple Japanese phrase (tell us the input letters) using the Hiragana system in Pages or TextEdit or here in the forum using Safari?

Japanese Input Method User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2023 9:05 AM in response to BertramWilberforceWooster

I have not seen any other complaints about this. Could you review the Japanese manual and post a screenshot of what happens when you try to type a simple Japanese phrase (tell us the input letters) using the Hiragana system in Pages or TextEdit or here in the forum using Safari?

Japanese Input Method User Guide for Mac - Apple Support

Japanese character input no longer working!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.