ios 17/iphone 15 maps not working properly

in the past, i had an iphone 11. albeit cracked it worked. i just upgraded to the 15 base model and now apple maps is acting weird. it’s seemingly having trouble with precise locations and slight location change updates. when i’m at home, for example, it doesn’t recognize my correct location nor does it do the “centering” (where the arrow is on your location on maps). it starts out facing a different direction than previously, and it’s very disorienting and hard to find my way. it’s also getting stuck at certain locations when i have driven past them. my phone is showing 5guc at those times so i’m sure it’s not service. my iphone 11 wasn’t showing this problem at all and as soon as i switched it started.

iPhone 15, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 20, 2023 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2023 7:02 PM

My 15 pro max had maps gps problems from the day I got it. It took 5 trips to the Apple Store and persistence but they finally replace my phones (mid system) and my maps finally work!

8 replies

Mar 8, 2024 4:38 AM in response to janell106

Same is happening right now with me, this is the third time i gave them the iPhone, i told them i will not accept to open the device, but they are telling me that we did all the tests and everything thing is fine.

really this is very disappointing and they need to be more cooperative as we are paying 1560 US dollars and from day one having this issue they have to change the device and they have to take the responsibility to see whats wrong on their cost not the buyer cost and wasting time

Feb 7, 2024 2:10 PM in response to dopaninekisses

iPhone quality went down. 1 month old iPhone 15 Pro Max ($1300), the Apple Maps and google maps are completely off of current location. Receiving non stop msgs regarding magnetic around the phone can set the gps off. There is no magnetic elements around the phone, it is in my pocket. Not to mention the battery life is less what actually apple advertised, my old 13 Pro battery life was better.

Hope Apple to step in and resolved the issues, or I just would request new phone.

Mar 6, 2024 12:03 PM in response to dopaninekisses

I just got the iphone 15 bro max from emax in dubai

and im facing the same issue with the gps and location services when i try google maps to drive to somewhere it keeps stuck in the same point i started or moving after a while not showing the precise location while driving

in addition any application with gps gives low gps data

i went to apply, they checked the device they told me that there is no issue with hardware just erase all data and try it again

i did but still the same issue, i contacted them the got the access to the phone and tried all the settings and told me we will go back to the engineers and came back after 3 days saying nothing in the software

i wen to emax they send it to the authorized service center in Dubai they did software and told me now its ok

I checked again its the same problem i went back to them they told me we cant make any thing to you as they authorized service center said there is no issue in the device but we can send it again and they took it,,,,

what shall i do in case they give it back with the same issue?!

Oct 20, 2023 8:30 AM in response to dopaninekisses

Maps does not use the cellular connection, except to download maps, so the fact that you have 5Guc is irrelevant to the problem. Outdoors with a clear view of the sky it uses GPS satellites; indoors or with obscured views of the sky it uses the location of known Wi-Fi networks for geolocation (Wi-Fi is also used to supplement GPS data when 4 satellites are not visible simultaneously). So you must have Wi-Fi enabled all the time for accurate location information, even if not connected to a Wi-Fi network. As to direction, it can only determine direction when you are moving. If you are not moving then direction has no meaning.

ios 17/iphone 15 maps not working properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.