Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Calls show another name on iPhone

My husband missed a call showing a name and a “or” he says he doesn’t know who the other person is, which happens to be a woman. On my phone, that only happens when I have a name recorded on my phone and on the cloud. Anyone else with this issue?

[Re-titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 1:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 1:25 PM

If a number is in your contacts it will show the name associated with the number in the contact record, otherwise it will just show the number. With iOS 16 and later, if there is no matching contact record it will show the Caller ID string sent by the caller’s phone service provider.

10 replies

Oct 21, 2023 8:01 PM in response to Limalover

Hi!

Here to help.

It seems like you have questions about contacts and phone numbers.

I can help.

Usually, contacts are stored locally on the phone's storage or in mail-accounts.

That said, in particular cases, senders may be able t hide their contact information; however, this does not limit the recipient from saving the number and adding their own information (eg; if you would call me now, as "unknown' but your number is visible, then I could list you as "Apple-Question" in my address-book!).

The only advice that I have left - I guess- is contact the carrier; keeo in mind; Depending on location / country ; privacy laws are in place.

Hope this helps;

kind regards,

RRD

Oct 21, 2023 7:56 PM in response to Limalover

Limalover Said:

"Calls show another Name : My husband missed a call showing a name and a 'or' he says he doesn’t know who the other person is, which happens to be a woman. On my phone, that only happens when I have a name recorded on my phone and on the cloud. Anyone else with this issue?"

See if this is a Contact:

Open the Contacts app. Then, swipe down slowly from the top. From there, the search bar will show atop the screen. Then, ender this phone number. See if it shows as a Contact.

Calls show another name on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.