FCP will not Save/Share

I have been trying to save share my FCP movie. I have 217 GB free on my MB Air 16GB Apple M2 Memory Sanoma 14. I have had no previous difficulty saving videos at all.

I usually save my videos in the larger format EXPORT FILE. When I do that FCP completes the Share (Check mark is in the Circle) but there is no video on my desktop. FCP indicates the size will be 43G. If I do a Spotlight search the video I attempted to save does not show.

I tried to use the YT/FB Share. The size was 250MB but only 130MB was size of the download. It is a 16 minute video and only 8 mins appear. The video is fine until about halfway and it turns black and stops. Scrubbing through the rest of the video is black with no sound. 

I also tried Apple Device 1080 and the size was supposed to be about 1.5 GB but again nothing shows on the Desktop nor when a do a Search.

Help is appreciated!

MacBook Air, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 21, 2023 5:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 8:31 AM

Ok, there seems to be progress now.

In case the problem may be with the specific project, you can try this: Select All (Command-A) and Copy (Command-C); make a new project with the desired frame rate and frame size; in the new project, Paste (Command-V).

At times, a project can become subtly corrupted. If that is the case, then this new project trick can often help.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2023 8:31 AM in response to bbbjim

Ok, there seems to be progress now.

In case the problem may be with the specific project, you can try this: Select All (Command-A) and Copy (Command-C); make a new project with the desired frame rate and frame size; in the new project, Paste (Command-V).

At times, a project can become subtly corrupted. If that is the case, then this new project trick can often help.

Oct 22, 2023 4:53 AM in response to Alchroma

THANKS! I checked as instructions indicated but the history indicates older versions that have since been deleted. It does not show the most recent edited update as any recent Share of the Project. It takes about 5-10 minutes to download. It is then indicated as complete but no trace of the video anywhere. And, it does not show in the History as you had suggested. As mentioned, and I suspect relevant, when I download in the smaller versions half of the project downloads. It plays perfectly while in FCP - all the way through. And, a Spotlight Search does not show it. I also checked iTunes as also suggested but nothing there either. (Question: if it was in iTunes, wouldn't it show in a spotlight search?) Again, thanks... the struggle continues.

Oct 22, 2023 7:51 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks again. I always send my Shares to the Desktop. I have looked in those other locations you suggested and it is not there. I have done a Spotlight Search and it never shows. I have tried to Share a number of times with the same results. I used the button that shows the history of the past saves for the project but it never shows that the project was Shared. It only shows previous Shares of the project from couple of weeks ago. However, after hitting the Share button, Sending it to Desktop, Waiting for it to Share (about 15 minutes or so) and then seeing the Check Mark indicating completion of Share, it is not visible anywhere with repeated attempts. I just tried to do a YT/FB Share. In FCP it indicates it should be about 250MB but the final results are only half that and just audio. I tried Sharing to a couple of the other setting (smaller than File) and the result are only half of the project appears. The project runs fine in FCP.

Oct 22, 2023 8:00 AM in response to bbbjim

The size of the resulting file is often less than the estimate, that part is quite normal.

Do you happen to have "Documents and Desktop in iCloud"? A lot of people do and do not realize it...

Click iCloud Drive in a Finder window Sidebar. Is there a Desktop folder in there? What are its contents?

Also: try exporting one small section to a different place, like your home folder, or your Movies folder. It does not have a long video, just press I and O to set a short range and export. Does it appear in the chosen location?

Oct 22, 2023 8:24 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for that info about the resulting file being less than estimated. However, is it normal to be over half the estimated size.

More importantly though... I opened a new project and used one of the clips from the main project. I shared and it was no problem. Opened up immediately and was saved on Desktop - my chosen location.

Oct 22, 2023 10:26 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Yes that was some progress :) As you suggested, I tried the copy and paste and then adding to a new project but that did not work. Now, I am guessing that maybe one of the clips is corrupted. Using the idea you presented, I opened a new project and am currently adding piece by piece clip by clip then saving sporadically - just to test as I go along. Other than that complete Copy and Pate of the project, it is now Sharing the pieces I am building on each time after Sharing appropriately onto my desktop. As I had initially mentioned, when Sharing as a complete File - about 40GB - it stops both video and audio about half way through. I am getting closer to that point where it stops so I may find that one of the upcoming clips may have a problem. I will keep you posted. THANKS for your persistence and support!

Oct 22, 2023 3:02 PM in response to bbbjim

Well, that was it. There seemed to be one small component - just s few seconds of a much bigger clip that was corrupted. After reconstructing the project and deleting that portion it Shared with no problem at all. I want to thank you for ALL your help and patience. Not only did you help solve my issue but also provided a few lessons along the way - as well as a couple of other contributors.

Peace,

Jim

Nov 2, 2023 5:45 AM in response to Alchroma

FOLLOW-UP to the previous situation.

Once again I faced a situation of a potential corrupt fie. However, I am wondering what the source is. I downloaded a number of GoPro clips into FCP with no problem and created one long file with a number of those individual clips included in the larger file. The entire file processed appropriately and there was no problem playing the entire video once created from FCP. I then loaded the larger file (a video that functions fine) into a new FCP Library. I used that large file (made up of a FCP file with the individual clips) to create a new video containing a number of edited clips from that larger clip. When attempting to create a new file, it does not create the entire clip but halts at a couple of spots. If I delete the clip where it halts and put in a blank solid black clip to take its place the final video continues to be created. This has happened in 4 different places on the entire clip. So I now have a video with some blank spots. I will probably use the original GoPro footage to replace those blank spots but was wondering what the source of the problem could be.

To recap, basically I made one large file of the original downloadedGoPro clips (so that I could delete unnecessary footage in some clips). Once processed and shared the video works fine. But then as a downloaded file in a new library, that file is corrupted. Is the problem with the large file that I created (which works fine outside of FCP but is a problem when using in a new Library file) or is it with the original GoPro clips?

My apologies if the description is somewhat convoluted and confusing!

THANKS!

FCP will not Save/Share

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.