Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

SOS Only while WiFi calling is turned on

Hi, I live in an area that has no useable cell service (an occasional text message can get delivered). Some times my iPhone 14 Plus iOS 17.0.3 while using WiFi calling will show SOS next to a full strength WiFi indicator at the top right corner. I am unable to receive or make calls. Toggling airplane mode off and on does not help. Restarting the phone temporally solves the problem. Also only happens at home. For my job I need to be available and I can't keep checking my phone to see if the SOS is back.

Any thoughts?

iPhone 14 Plus

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 3:10 PM

I have this exact issue - rural area with no useable cell service, depend on wifi for work. I have Verizon and have been able to work seemlessly for over a year using wifi calling until this started up a couple of months ago. This is very frustrating. Did you ever find a solution?

6 replies

Oct 22, 2023 6:13 PM in response to Princeton1000

Princeton1000 Said:

"SOS Only while WiFi calling is turned on"

-------

Getting Out of SOS Mode:

SOS means that you do not have Cellular service at this very moment, but you do have the option to make emergency calls. So, contact you Carrier to get your services back up and running.

Overview this Link: If you See No Service, Searching, or SOS on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Dec 1, 2023 4:29 PM in response to mdkeizer96

mdkeizer 96 Said:

I have this exact issue - rural area with no useable cell service, depend on wifi for work. I have Verizon and have been able to work seemlessly for over a year using wifi calling until this started up a couple of months ago. This is very frustrating. Did you ever find a solution?

———-

Contact your Carrier to Get out of SOS Mode:

Something is misconfigured in your SIM or eSIM card. So, contact your Carrier to fix this. They need to reconfigure it.

SOS Only while WiFi calling is turned on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.