Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

USB-C headphones take 2-3 minutes to appear as available Output device

I have Samsung AKG USB-C headset, which works perfectly well on iPhone 15 and some older iPhones I had available to test as well on Android devices like Google Pixel 6 and 7. As soon as headset is connected to either of mentioned phones both microphone and headphones start to work right away.

However, yesterday tried to connect this headset to MacBook Pro with M1 Max. MacBook showed a popup asking if I want to allow to connect this headset, I clicked `Allow` and for some reason only microphone and headset buttons work, while no new output devices appear. I thought that these headphones might be incompatible with MacBook Pro, but found this Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/a16knn/usbc_headphones_not_working_with_macbook_pro/

Based on how old that thread is I guess there is something going on in MacOS for a few versions already. The advice in that discussion is to wait 2-3 minutes. And indeed it works. Next time I need to connect the headset I need to wait same 2-3 minutes before new output device appears.

I also found this discussion here MacBook M1 Pro and AKG / SAMSUNG USB-C he… - Apple Community but it doesn't work for me.

So my question is whenever this is a software bug in MacOS that should be forwarded to developers at Apple or there is something special in this model of headphones (which is questionable, considering that iPhone 15 picks them up right away as soon as I plug them) ?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 1:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 2:32 AM

It's up to you.

Our usb-c headsets and bluetooth headsets work quite well with 2018 Intel i7 15" MBP, and with Windows laptops, android phones and tablets.

Something is wrong with your headset, or your MacBook usb-c ports' controller. Only way to check is by getting/borrowing another usb-c headset...

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2023 2:32 AM in response to VolodB

It's up to you.

Our usb-c headsets and bluetooth headsets work quite well with 2018 Intel i7 15" MBP, and with Windows laptops, android phones and tablets.

Something is wrong with your headset, or your MacBook usb-c ports' controller. Only way to check is by getting/borrowing another usb-c headset...

Oct 23, 2023 2:15 AM in response to chdsl

Please don't reply with template answers. I wouldn't open this discussion if I hadn't checked it already.

No, new audio output option won't appear till 2-3 minutes pass in either of USB-C port. Moreover, there is exactly the same behavior on my older Intel based MacBook Pro 2017 also in all ports.

Oct 23, 2023 2:41 AM in response to chdsl

Are you trying to get yourself points here on this forum? No, it is not something wrong with headset and if would have read the Reddit discussion and the initial message you would understand it. Same applies to USB-C ports as it can't be that every single person in that discussion has faulty ports not to mention that I have the same behavior on 2 different Mac from completely different generations. And no, there is no problem with any bluetooth headset on my Macs and phones and it wasn't even the topic of this question.

Please don't spam with unrelated things as your both answers clearly showed that you don't read the problem description as well as my first reply to you.

Oct 23, 2023 3:02 AM in response to VolodB

VolodB wrote:

I have Samsung AKG USB-C headset, which works perfectly well on iPhone 15 and some older iPhones I had available to test as well on Android devices like Google Pixel 6 and 7. As soon as headset is connected to either of mentioned phones both microphone and headphones start to work right away.

It works there, but does not work with your MacBook(s), so what does that mean?

USB-C headphones take 2-3 minutes to appear as available Output device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.