all software connected to icloud very, very slow

error msg: icloud drive may not work properly

Mail message: Unable to load content privately

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 12:20 PM

Hey CineMutt,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. For the alert you're seeing in the Mail app, this guide will help: If you see 'Unable to load remote content privately' at the top of an email - Apple Support

For the alert you're seeing with iCloud Drive, let us know a bit more:

• Are you using a VPN or other security software, and if so, does disabling or removing those help?
  • When do you see the alert that iCloud Drive may not work properly?
  • Does this happen regardless of the network you connect to?

The more details you can provide the better the community can help.

Take care!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2023 12:20 PM in response to CineMutt

Hey CineMutt,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. For the alert you're seeing in the Mail app, this guide will help: If you see 'Unable to load remote content privately' at the top of an email - Apple Support

For the alert you're seeing with iCloud Drive, let us know a bit more:

• Are you using a VPN or other security software, and if so, does disabling or removing those help?
  • When do you see the alert that iCloud Drive may not work properly?
  • Does this happen regardless of the network you connect to?

The more details you can provide the better the community can help.

Take care!

Oct 24, 2023 4:21 PM in response to CineMutt

Hello CineMutt,

Thanks for getting back to us with those additional details. MalwareBytes is a free third party program that we suggest in cases where there may be unwanted software on a Mac. We're not affiliated with them in any way, however we've used it previously with good results.

Let's go ahead an install that, then run a scan on your system. This way we can be sure we're going down the correct path. 

Int he meantime, please check out these helpful link for information about how iCloud Drive works:

Access and manage your files in iCloud Drive

Use iCloud Drive on iCloud.com

Recover deleted files on iCloud.com

Let us know if you have any questions. Kind regards.

Oct 24, 2023 3:50 PM in response to TammyW_03

iCloud was working fine until i ran clean My Mac, whether or not this is relevant. But I got the icloud drive message after restarting. The computer was then so slow it took Mail five minutes to open. I decided to uncheck iCloud Drive in the Sys Prefs. It then wanted to erase all the files in there so, I checked "Save a Copy". It only hit me later that if the app that linked me up to iCloud was faulty, it wasn't going to be able to download my files to the computer.

I have two backup external drives, but the Documents folder would never back up from its place on iCLoud drive. The WD drive failed when I connected it to recheck this.

--I realize i misunderstood the whole setup with icloud, and putting the Docs folder on icloud drive was a booboo.

Strangely now, the most important files in this set still load from some ghostly Documents folder that the OS can not find otherwise.

I thank you very much for your help! I have bought a new Mini to start anew, perhaps without a lsome of my text files that were lost in the clouds..

Oct 25, 2023 2:29 PM in response to nbotros

Thank you very much for your concern!

I found that I had fortuitously moved all my data files to a personal folder in my Home directory. This is why files were still loading loading into my text app---there is no "ghost" directory (what a silly idea!) My Documents directory had some files in it placed there by apps, so reinstalling my third-party apps afresh when I get my new Mac Mini next week will fix this.

The Clean My Mac people affirm that it never deletes those little system files.

I will happily try Malware Bytes, although CMM has never found any bad stuff.

I will let you know the result. I really am just trying to keep the system from falling apart until I get my new Mini.

I am very grateful for your help and recommendation

Oct 25, 2023 3:38 PM in response to Lindsay_B.

I am embarrassed to tell you I have found the solution right here in the Community. When I searched it before, in a panic because nothing was working on the desktop, I used the exact words of the error messages. This time "can not communicate with iCloud Drive" were the magic words and I got a solution to simply use the Terminal to reset/repair all disk permissions. Duh.

iCloud Drive is now working, but I stilll have a missing Documents folder, which iCloud Drive emptied (!!???) when I turned off iCloud Drive to restore desktop function.

A Documents folder still shows in the iCloud Drive directory, but it won't move back into my Home directory. Somehow the mac acts as if the original Documents folder is still there.

Sorry for all this long-winded stuff

icloud cannot communicate with a helper app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.