I do not have permission to view my folders.

I recently renamed my iMac HD because I get confused by DropBox showing Mac and Mac 2 in the folders. That's the most recent thing I did, and now I cannot open any of my folders on my iMac because I do not have permission to it. I followed the suggestion to Get Info and then unlock the folder. The unlock button can be toggled, but the folder locks again right after. I do not see the Sharing Permission button on my Get Info pop-up, as suggested in other videos. Please help, I cannot access any of my folders. At this point, my iMac is functioning just like a big iPhone.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.5

Posted on Oct 23, 2023 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 3:11 AM

Based on your description, it seems like a permission issue. Here’s what you can try:

1. Right-click on the folder you’re struggling with and select “Get Info”.
  2. In the “Sharing & Permissions” section, click the lock icon and enter your administrator password.
  3. Click on the “+” button to add your user account to the list of users with permissions.
  4. Select your user account and change the permission level to “Read & Write”.
  5. Click on the gear icon and select “Apply to enclosed items” to apply the changes to all files and folders within the folder.
  6. Close the “Get Info” window and try reaccessing your folder.

If you still cannot access your folders, you may need to repair disk permissions on your Mac. Here’s how:

1. Open Disk Utility (you can find it in the Utilities folder within Applications).
  2. Select your startup disk from the list of disks on the left-hand side.
  3. Click on the “First Aid” button at the top of the window.
  4. Click on “Run” to start repairing disk permissions.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2023 3:11 AM in response to elin anisha

Based on your description, it seems like a permission issue. Here’s what you can try:

1. Right-click on the folder you’re struggling with and select “Get Info”.
  2. In the “Sharing & Permissions” section, click the lock icon and enter your administrator password.
  3. Click on the “+” button to add your user account to the list of users with permissions.
  4. Select your user account and change the permission level to “Read & Write”.
  5. Click on the gear icon and select “Apply to enclosed items” to apply the changes to all files and folders within the folder.
  6. Close the “Get Info” window and try reaccessing your folder.

If you still cannot access your folders, you may need to repair disk permissions on your Mac. Here’s how:

1. Open Disk Utility (you can find it in the Utilities folder within Applications).
  2. Select your startup disk from the list of disks on the left-hand side.
  3. Click on the “First Aid” button at the top of the window.
  4. Click on “Run” to start repairing disk permissions.

Oct 24, 2023 7:46 PM in response to The_Knowledge_Seeker

Thank you so much for your reply. I tried making the first suggestion you gave me. Most of the solutions I have searched online gave the same solution. Unfortunately, it does not work. There is no gear on the Get Info window, and it does not have that "Sharing & Permissions" section at all. I was able to find the unlock toggle but I still cannot access the folders or go back to being locked again.

I thought your second suggestion would work because that is so far the only other alternative I found. Mark Hard Drive which I renamed was grayed out. I did as you recommended but still nothing. At this point, I am truly stuck. Please help. And, thank you so much for your time.

I do not have permission to view my folders.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.