Random restarting

My MacBook Air restarts itself every now and then. I will be in the middle of something when the screen will freeze. Then all open apps will be closed and asked to put in my password again and then everything restarts.

2020 MacBook Air using Sonoma.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 2:26 PM

You might want to try booting into Safe Mode and leave it that way for a while to see if it spontaneously restarts again. This Apple Support article describes how to use Safe Mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

I'd also ask if you have any anti-virus, "app cleaners", "Mac optimizers" or VPN software installed? These have all been know to create havoc on Macs, and actually create more problems than they prevent. If you do, I strongly urge you to delete them, using the manufacturer's uninstaller, as simply dragging them to the Trash often times doesn't delete everything.

Hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2023 2:26 PM in response to Ron.Ainsbury

You might want to try booting into Safe Mode and leave it that way for a while to see if it spontaneously restarts again. This Apple Support article describes how to use Safe Mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

I'd also ask if you have any anti-virus, "app cleaners", "Mac optimizers" or VPN software installed? These have all been know to create havoc on Macs, and actually create more problems than they prevent. If you do, I strongly urge you to delete them, using the manufacturer's uninstaller, as simply dragging them to the Trash often times doesn't delete everything.

Hope this helps.

Random restarting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.