📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

What's Best Screen Recorder for Mac with Internal Audio?

I am finding a suitable screen recorder for my Mac that has the ability to record internal audio. I have tried several different options, but none of them seem to work properly. I need a screen recorder that can capture both the audio and video from my computer, without any external noise or interference. Ideally, the software should be easy to use and have a variety of editing features to enhance the final product. I am open to both paid and free options, as long as they can deliver high-quality recordings.

Can anyone recommend the best screen recorder for Mac with internal audio?

Posted on Oct 24, 2023 11:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2024 2:48 AM

Josh_Kay wrote:

Totally feel your pain there! Finding the right screen recorder that nails both video and internal audio without grabbing all that background noise can be a real hunt. I've been down that road, trying out a bunch of different software until I stumbled upon Aiseesoft Screen Recorder.

Let me tell you, it was pretty much a game-changer for me. The thing with Aiseesoft Screen Recorder is that it's super straightforward to use. You don't need to be a tech whiz to figure it out. It captures both the screen and the internal audio cleanly, which means you can record your videos and whatever's playing on your Mac without catching the sound of your typing or anything else happening around you.

Review of Aiseesoft Screen recorder: https://www.sysgeeker.com/blog/aiseesoft-screen-recorder-review.html

If you're on the lookout for another software similar to Aiseesoft Screen Recorder that can handle screen recording with internal audio on a Mac, you might want to check out ScreenFlow. It's a bit of a powerhouse in the world of screen recording and video editing for macOS.

Thanks for the recommendation, it actually works on my Mac M2!

Similar questions

25 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 4, 2024 2:48 AM in response to Josh_Kay

Josh_Kay wrote:

Totally feel your pain there! Finding the right screen recorder that nails both video and internal audio without grabbing all that background noise can be a real hunt. I've been down that road, trying out a bunch of different software until I stumbled upon Aiseesoft Screen Recorder.

Let me tell you, it was pretty much a game-changer for me. The thing with Aiseesoft Screen Recorder is that it's super straightforward to use. You don't need to be a tech whiz to figure it out. It captures both the screen and the internal audio cleanly, which means you can record your videos and whatever's playing on your Mac without catching the sound of your typing or anything else happening around you.

Review of Aiseesoft Screen recorder: https://www.sysgeeker.com/blog/aiseesoft-screen-recorder-review.html

If you're on the lookout for another software similar to Aiseesoft Screen Recorder that can handle screen recording with internal audio on a Mac, you might want to check out ScreenFlow. It's a bit of a powerhouse in the world of screen recording and video editing for macOS.

Thanks for the recommendation, it actually works on my Mac M2!

Oct 25, 2023 6:24 AM in response to SusieGunther

IMHO, QuickTime Player is the best option.

however, to record the mac's internal sound with quicktime you need additional software. i use the free BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. then you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" in the recording options instead of "Built-in Microphone."

you will also need to set up a multi-output device in your audio MIDI setup utility to be able to both hear and record the internal audio at the same time.

to set up a multi-output device:

Open Audio MIDI Setup: (found in /Applications/Utilities)

hit the '+' button in the bottom left corner and select "Create Multi Output Device"

then in the panel that appears on the right, in the Multi-Output Device tab, select "Built-in Output" AND "BlackHole 2ch". (and, if you want, any of your other connected devices.)

once you do that, (and BEFORE recording) you can choose "BlackHole 2ch" or "Multi-Output Device" in your menubar "sound options". 

to both hear the speakers and record the audio at the same time, choose "Multi-Output Device". before choosing multi-out, set the internal speakers' volume to a comfortable level first. you cannot control the volume once you are in multi-out mode.

Mar 4, 2024 7:00 PM in response to Kaity83

Finding a screen recorder for Mac that captures both screen and internal audio can indeed be challenging, due to macOS's restrictions on audio capture for privacy and security reasons. However, there are several options, both free and paid, that can help you achieve high-quality recordings with the features you're looking for.

Here are 7 tools for your reference:
https://www.sysgeeker.com/blog/best-7-screen-recorders-for-mac.html

Thank you for your recommendation, it is very pertinent advice, and each software has its advantages and disadvantages!

Nov 11, 2023 10:41 PM in response to SusieGunther

If you're looking for a screen recorder for Mac with internal audio, OBS Studio is one of the best options available. As an open-source software, OBS Studio allows you to capture your screen with internal audio and offers various customization options.

Another good free option is QuickTime Player. This default screen recorder for Mac also allows you to capture internal audio by selecting "Internal Microphone" in the audio options.

Both OBS Studio and QuickTime Player are reliable choices for screen recording on Mac with internal audio, and they provide the necessary features without requiring any additional purchases.

Jun 23, 2024 12:05 PM in response to SusieGunther

If you have Microsoft Teams on your Mac, you can record system audio. Here’s what you do…

1. Start a meeting in Teams. You don’t need anyone to join, just an empty meeting will do. Make sure you mute your mic.
  2. Share your screen in Teams. Make sure you select the “Include Audio” option.
  3. Hide Teams, or move it to a different monitor, if you have one.
  4. Open Screenshot and select the screen recording option you prefer.
  5. Under the “Options” menu, select “Microsoft Teams Audio”
  6. Record your screen and you will get a recording with system audio.

Nov 15, 2023 12:39 AM in response to SusieGunther

SusieGunther wrote:

OBS Studio is too complicated for me, I have tried this software before, but with limited experience and skills, OBS Studio is not suitable for me. QuickTime Player offers too few features.

One of the best screen recorders for Mac with internal audio is ScreenFlow. It offers a user-friendly interface and numerous features, including the ability to record internal audio, edit videos, add annotations and effects, and export videos in various formats.

Another option is Camtasia, which is also user-friendly and offers similar features to ScreenFlow. Both of these options are more suitable for those who are looking for a screen recorder with more advanced features than QuickTime Player.

Or from here you can learn about other Screen Recorder for Mac:

[Edited by Moderator]

Mar 15, 2024 5:22 PM in response to Hey-Jude

Hey-Jude wrote:

I should say I only wanted audio recording, no screen but positive this would be easy to do as well.

yes it does that very well indeed. use Apple Menu > QuickTime Player > File > New Audio Recording.

and in the resulting window, open the options by clicking the downwards arrow.

and choose "BlackHole 2ch:" instead of internal microphone.

Thank you for this suggestion.

you're welcome. :)

Oct 30, 2023 5:50 AM in response to SusieGunther

SusieGunther wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion, but the quality of the video recorded with it has problems,

what macOS are you running? I haven't done any screen recordings since sonoma was launched. so after seeing your response this morning, I did some testing with sonoma. I too was seeing issues with the quality of recordings when using safari. so I tried again with the exact same videos, but using Firefox. the issues did not occur while using Firefox.

especially when the video time is longer than five minutes, the video will be stuck.

the only time I have experienced similar issues, it was because of my "save to" location. issues occurred only when my "save to" location was set to anything other than "desktop".

Nov 14, 2023 4:57 AM in response to jeffreythefrog

jeffreythefrog wrote:

SusieGunther wrote:

Thank you for your suggestion, but the quality of the video recorded with it has problems,
what macOS are you running? I haven't done any screen recordings since sonoma was launched. so after seeing your response this morning, I did some testing with sonoma. I too was seeing issues with the quality of recordings when using safari. so I tried again with the exact same videos, but using Firefox. the issues did not occur while using Firefox.
especially when the video time is longer than five minutes, the video will be stuck.
the only time I have experienced similar issues, it was because of my "save to" location. issues occurred only when my "save to" location was set to anything other than "desktop".

macOS 12.0 (Monterey). I haven't done anything with Firefox yet and I haven't found any of the issues you're talking about.

Mar 4, 2024 2:53 AM in response to SusieGunther

If you're leaning more towards the free side of things, you might want to check out OBS Studio. It's a bit more technical and was originally designed for live streaming, but it's totally capable of recording your screen with internal audio as well. Plus, it's open source and offers a decent amount of editing features, though it might have a steeper learning curve compared to ScreenFlow.

Both options are pretty solid, but if you're aiming for top-notch quality and ease of use (and don't mind spending a bit), ScreenFlow could be your best bet. OBS Studio is a great alternative if you're looking for something free and are willing to tinker a bit to get everything set up just right. Hope this helps you capture all the content you need with crystal-clear audio!

What's Best Screen Recorder for Mac with Internal Audio?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.