iCloud photo

I back up my old phone already and it done, then I try to restore from backed up icloud on my new phone. All my photo pretty much backed up, and I still missing some photo. There are 2 back up that appear in my system old phone 65Gb and new phone 53Gb. How do I recovery from the missing ? Thanks!

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 7:29 PM

Hey there que293,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities.

Just to confirm, did you have iCloud Photos enabled on your previous iPhone before creating the backup? If so, photos would not be included in the backup as they would be synced with iCloud.

Check out this link here for more details: What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

What iCloud Backup includes
Your iPhone and iPad backups include all the information and settings stored on your device that don't already sync to iCloud.

For more details on what to do if you're missing information after restoring a backup, check out this next link here: About missing information after you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iCloud Backup - Apple Support

About your photos
When you use iCloud Photos, your photos and videos automatically upload to iCloud. They aren’t included in your nightly backup. After you restore your device from iCloud Backup, stay connected to Wi-Fi so that your photos and videos can begin to download.

If you haven’t turned on iCloud Photos, iCloud Backup may include photos and videos in your Photos or Camera Roll. Not sure if iCloud Photos was turned on when you made the backup? After you restore your device, check Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos. If iCloud Photos is turned on, then the photos were stored in iCloud Photos.

If the photos and videos were included in the backup, they’ll download to your iOS device in the background when you restore. Stay connected to Wi-Fi until the process finishes. The time it takes to restore depends on the size of your backup and the speed of your Wi-Fi network.

Learn more about what's included in iCloud Backup and how to sync photos from a computer.

Let us know if that's able to help.

Take care.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2023 7:29 PM in response to que293

Hey there que293,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities.

Just to confirm, did you have iCloud Photos enabled on your previous iPhone before creating the backup? If so, photos would not be included in the backup as they would be synced with iCloud.

Check out this link here for more details: What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

What iCloud Backup includes
Your iPhone and iPad backups include all the information and settings stored on your device that don't already sync to iCloud.

For more details on what to do if you're missing information after restoring a backup, check out this next link here: About missing information after you restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iCloud Backup - Apple Support

About your photos
When you use iCloud Photos, your photos and videos automatically upload to iCloud. They aren’t included in your nightly backup. After you restore your device from iCloud Backup, stay connected to Wi-Fi so that your photos and videos can begin to download.

If you haven’t turned on iCloud Photos, iCloud Backup may include photos and videos in your Photos or Camera Roll. Not sure if iCloud Photos was turned on when you made the backup? After you restore your device, check Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos. If iCloud Photos is turned on, then the photos were stored in iCloud Photos.

If the photos and videos were included in the backup, they’ll download to your iOS device in the background when you restore. Stay connected to Wi-Fi until the process finishes. The time it takes to restore depends on the size of your backup and the speed of your Wi-Fi network.

Learn more about what's included in iCloud Backup and how to sync photos from a computer.

Let us know if that's able to help.

Take care.

Oct 25, 2023 7:56 PM in response to Chris_V89

Thank you very much for all the provided information. It might happen while restoring, and this mightbe true for me.

• Sometimes the restore process may look complete, but your device is still downloading information in the background. To check this, tap Settings > [your name] > iCloud > iCloud Backup. If your device is still being restored, you see “This [device] is currently being restored and will automatically back up when it is done.”

iCloud photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.