Tried to delete emails on my iMac but they are still there

hi i have tried bulk deleting emails spent roughly 4 hours going through and thought they were deleted , when i went back on mail today they are still there . I am running mac OS Catalina version 10.15.7 . I Tried to delete at least 100 today they seem to go i then went on bin deleted went back to email they then re appeared . i have gone through all the help on apple support which doesn't really help to much on this but anyway none seem to work ,anyone got any other ideas

my i mac is 27 inch late 2013 not sure if that makes difference

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 4:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 4:45 AM

The next step would be to use your email service provider's webmail interface, assuming it has one; most do. For example, for iCloud Mail you can log in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID and select Mail.

In that webmail interface, determine if the email messages are present or not. If they are, delete them, then launch Mail again and determine if they are also deleted in the Mail app.

That would be the more conservative approach so try it first. If it does not help, or if the problem keeps reoccurring, the next step would be to remove the affected email account(s) and add them again. That procedure is discussed at the end of If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support, under Remove your email account, then add it back.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2023 4:45 AM in response to miln surrey

The next step would be to use your email service provider's webmail interface, assuming it has one; most do. For example, for iCloud Mail you can log in to iCloud.com with your Apple ID and select Mail.

In that webmail interface, determine if the email messages are present or not. If they are, delete them, then launch Mail again and determine if they are also deleted in the Mail app.

That would be the more conservative approach so try it first. If it does not help, or if the problem keeps reoccurring, the next step would be to remove the affected email account(s) and add them again. That procedure is discussed at the end of If you can’t send or receive email on your Mac - Apple Support, under Remove your email account, then add it back.

Tried to delete emails on my iMac but they are still there

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.