Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 7, OS9.6.3, iPhone 8 iOS 16.7.2: I CAN NO LONGER UPDATE MY APPLE WATCH!!! Please help. Thank you.

So, my iPhone 8 says update your iPhone OS before updating your watch, then it tells me it's iOS is up[ to date. I then attempt to update the watch OS on the watch, which always says, "Unable to Check for Update and error occurred while checking for an update", and no amount of retrying gets me joy.

Any help will be most appreciated.

I followed the Apple Community response that said I needed to unpair my watch, and start over... 2+years of using my watch down the drain after an hour of repairing and starting afresh... and still the same da**ed error messages when I attempt too update the watch OS.

Apple Watch Series 7

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2024 8:09 AM

Shame on Apple for iPhone 8 not being able to update!!!! with Apple watch!!!!! Very Upset at the rate of Obsolescence of Phones and watches... Shame on Apple for building in an Obsolescence to generate Income.

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 23, 2024 9:22 AM in response to Gordo-UT

The iPhone 8 came out 7 years coming September. That’s a pretty good run for a smart device to continue getting new major updates. The watch is still capable of updating (it was released 4 years after the iPhone 8) but the new WatchOS version requires an iPhone that can run iOS 17. Being upset that a 6+ year old iPhone model doesn’t have the ability to continue to get updates is a bit of an unrealistic expectation. There are many brands that don’t support their smart devices for that long with new OS updates.

Ultimately you have a few options. Keep things as they are so your watch and phone continue to work together, upgrade to a newer iPhone (doesn’t have to be the new 15 series but needs to be one that can support iOS 17. I would avoid the iPhone XR as it is possible that iOS 17 could be its last major update and will be in the same position after iOS 18 releases) so you can then update your watch to watchOS 10, or the extreme but completely your right to do option of going to another brand altogether because you ade upset by this situation. i would just advise if you choose that route to research the OS lifespan cycle that whatever you are interested in is estimated to receive so you are less likely to be blindsided by a similar situation unexpectedly. Also consider if you get 2 devices that rely on each other released at different times than each other the older of those 2 devices may stop being compatible with updates before the newer one.

Feb 23, 2024 10:01 AM in response to KaeBFly

Depends on how much Money you are flushed with. I'm OLD school...I am not flushed with money... everyone has an opinion and everyone has validation for that Opinion... I'm just frustrated with the continuous paying for new phones this makes number four for me... Thanks for you comments I do appreciate it... I will stick with 8 as long as I can

Feb 23, 2024 10:18 AM in response to Gordo-UT

Gordo-UT wrote:

Shame on Apple for iPhone 8 not being able to update!!!! with Apple watch!!!!! Very Upset at the rate of Obsolescence of Phones and watches... Shame on Apple for building in an Obsolescence to generate Income.

There's nothing obsolete about either your phone or your watch. They still do exactly what they were able to do when you thought they were worth purchasing in the first place. You can either value holding on to hardware as long as possible. Or, you can value having the latest and "greatest" software. But not both. Certainly, the thrifty, environmentally responsible choice is to buy what you need and then use it for as long as you can make it meet your needs. You do not have to fall prey to the hype of updating every year.

Apple Watch 7, OS9.6.3, iPhone 8 iOS 16.7.2: I CAN NO LONGER UPDATE MY APPLE WATCH!!! Please help. Thank you.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.