Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Where do Permanently Deleted Photos Go on iPhone?

I recently found that some of my photos on my iPhone disappeared, and I am wondering where do permamently deleted photos go on iPhone? Although I had deleted them from my "Recently Deleted" album, I still cannot find them in my Photos app or iCloud. I am worried that they are gone permanently and cannot be recovered. I have tried searching for solutions online, but have not found a clear answer. I would appreciate any insight into where these photos may have gone, and if there is any way to retrieve them.

Thank you for your help.

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 1:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2024 8:00 AM

I have erased permanently pictures from my Iphone..Now I need to recover those pictures how can I able to recover?.

66 replies

Apr 11, 2024 3:48 AM in response to Universe669

"permanently deleted" usually means the space those files occupied is now marked as available for new data. So, unless they were backed up somewhere else (think external hard drives, different cloud services, or maybe an email thread where you shared them), they're like stars that have burned out.

If you haven't overwritten that space with new data, some tech-savvy folks use special software to try and recover lost files.

Like FoneLab, Dr.Phone, see their's Pro and Cons here:

https://www.sysgeeker.com/blog/7-iphone-data-recovery-software.html

Nov 11, 2023 11:03 PM in response to Universe669

When you permanently delete photos on an iPhone, they are initially moved to the "Recently Deleted" album. These photos will remain in this folder for 30 days before being automatically deleted. However, if you have recently deleted a photo and wish to recover it, you are able to recover them back again.

Please note that if more than 30 days have passed since you permanently deleted the photos or if you have manually emptied the "Recently Deleted" folder, they cannot be recovered directly from your iPhone. In such cases, you may need to use data recovery software or consult a professional data recovery service.

Oct 30, 2023 4:27 PM in response to Universe669

Photos are gone. They will remain in the Recently Deleted folder for 30 days unless you delete them from their first. You will not be able to recover them and any software that claims that they can are just going to scam you out of your money. There are many claims on the internet that are not true.

Feel free to try any of them and report back your results. Tread lightly in this gray area of the internet and protect your Apple ID and password along with any banking information.

Nov 15, 2023 4:45 AM in response to Universe669

Universe669 wrote:

abdia33 wrote:

When you permanently delete photos on an iPhone, they are initially moved to the "Recently Deleted" album. These photos will remain in this folder for 30 days before being automatically deleted. However, if you have recently deleted a photo and wish to recover it, you are able to recover them back again.
Please note that if more than 30 days have passed since you permanently deleted the photos or if you have manually emptied the "Recently Deleted" folder, they cannot be recovered directly from your iPhone. In such cases, you may need to use data recovery software or consult a professional data recovery service.
Thank you. I've tried my best but no luck. Or they are gone forever.

If you don't have a backup, it becomes more challenging to recover the deleted photos.

To avoid losing important photos in the future, make sure to regularly back up your iPhone to iCloud or your computer using iTunes. This way, you can restore your device from a backup if needed.

[Edited by Moderator]

Oct 30, 2023 4:20 PM in response to Universe669

Universe669 wrote:

As some third-party software claims, those deleted photos can be retrieved again, anyone knows this is true.

No. It's not true. They are gone.

I'm worried about the damage they can do to other data on the phone. I don't want to lose these photos, on the contrary, I don't know what to do.

If you removed them from the recently deleted folder, they are gone. You have already lost them. there is no place to get them back from. Don't get suckered into paying for data recovery apps from companies that prey on fear.

Mar 1, 2024 8:11 AM in response to rofeeeiii

rofeeeiii wrote:

I have erased permanently pictures from my Iphone..Now I need to recover those pictures how can I able to recover?.

That would depend on where else you may have personally backed them up to. Did you back them up to your computer? Did you back them up to a photo storage service like Amazon or Google Photos? Did you back them up to a backup service like Dropbox or Carbonite?

If the answer is no, you didn't back them up to any other service or computer, then the simple answer is once permanently deleted they are indeed PERMANENTLY deleted and there is nowhere you can go to retrieve them.

Apr 15, 2024 7:01 AM in response to denisfromsvishtov

denisfromsvishtov wrote:

Honestly? I think this thread is full with mixed comments. I really wish all deleted files to be gone with the wind but who can actually tell for sure? is there an official Apple statement on that matter?

Apple doesn't participate here. And I think the answers have been very clear. Once permanently deleted, photos and videos are gone. They can't be recovered. Because Permanent is Permanent. It can't be made much clearer than that.

Where do Permanently Deleted Photos Go on iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.