Re-installing snow leopard on original machine.

Hi,

I recently gave my old 15" macbook pro (2009) to a friend. beforehand I reset and installed HSiera after following careful guidance to do so, making a bootable drive with instruction and the osx.dmg from apple support pages.

The new install does not perform well and safari or firefox struggle to open.

I would like to re-install snow leopard (I have the original OSX install CDs but the DVD/CD drive ceased working a few years ago. There is an external drive which I also gave with the MacB and bits, he is away at moment.

A screen message said my Superdrive is not supported on the same MacB, when I connected it to the 15" macB.

I am now wondering if I should even attempt to open the zip download to create the Snow Leopard boot-able drive if my retina 13" will not support the 10.6.8 dmg being opened by the current 10.15.7 OS which i do not want to change just to create a SL boot drive.

Any advice is helpul 🙏🏻

MM

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 5:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 9:17 AM

Hey dialabrain, thanks for the prompt, I've sorted the drive with a terminal PRAM reset. HD wiped and waiting for disc OS upload, seems to be all working. BTW it was El Capitan installed (brain drain memory on my side 😅).

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 26, 2023 9:11 AM in response to penguinmixy

What is the exact model of the computer running macOS 10.15.7? If it is a Late-2009 to 2015 model, then you should be able to download & create a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

In fact, most Macs from 2007 to 2015 should be able to allow you to create a bootable 10.11 USB installer.

Oct 26, 2023 9:27 AM in response to HWTech

Hi, Thanks HWTech for your link. It's a G5,3.

I've carefully looked over those support pages many times, and have created successful boot-drives for OS upgrade/downgrades, the G5,3 doesn't seem to like El Capitan from what I've seen in other comments. Hopefully the re-install will leave the macB as fast as it used to be.

I appreciate your help.

👍🏼

MM

Re-installing snow leopard on original machine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.