Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Upgrade vs Update?

I've always left Auto-Update on for my iPad. Why? Because it always UPDATED my licensed software, which was super convenient. UPGRADES, I thought, are OPTIONAL, not forced on a user. There is a huge difference between an UPDATE and an UPGRADE.

However, recently one developer just abused that auto-update feature. They auto-UPGRADED my apps to the newer "version 2", which now require a new license (more $$). They overwrote the existing licensed apps with unlicensed ones, meaning, I can no longer use the apps I previously paid for, and will need to pay for the UPGRADE to continue using them.

This doesn't sound like a proper use of the auto-UPDATE feature, does it? And it doesn't matter if the old versions no longer works on the latest and greatest. I should simply be informed of that (I wasn't). Then I can decide whether to UPGRADE them. Instead, without warning, my licensed software was replaced. I have found no way to restore them.

The offending dev in this case is AFFINITY. They replaced all three of the apps I'd purchased; Designer, Photo and Publisher, with new versions that I can't use without paying more money.

That's unacceptable by any measure. Does Apple allow this in their terms and conditions?

Needless to say, I've shut off auto update. Never again!

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 8:34 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 26, 2023 8:42 AM in response to Robinson Collins

Something here doesn't sound quite right...

As a licensed user of Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, I still have access to both Apps - and both have received updates since initial release of Affinity Photo 2 and Designer 2. I am not a licensee of Affinity Publisher.

While Affinity Photo 2 and Designer 2 are indeed new versions, for which a separate licence is required (also purchased by myself), they are available independently of the original Apps.

Upgrade vs Update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.