Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clearing and reloading an iPad's iOS install for sale or donation.

It's my understanding that it's not possible to back out the current version of iPadOS to a previous version. I current iPad is an iPad Pro 10.5, whose battery is getting a little "long in the tooth", which is very concerning since I used it almost exclusively for my marine navigation. I would consider replace it with a newer model and using the 10.5" model as a backup or selling it on the used market.

Whether I kept it as a backup or give/sell it to someone else, I would want to reformat it and reload the iOS. If I keep it as a backup, I would want to reload only Apple's core apps plus the apps that I use exclusively for marine GPS navigation, celestial navigation, weather forecasting, etc. By far, the most used, most extensive, and most expensive apps are those which fall in these limited categories.

When I do this with my MacBooks, I tend to load the original OS version, or possibly a newer (but not the latest) version. If I keep this as a backup, I would prefer to update only to the iOS that's fully compatible (and stable) with the aforementioned apps.

Can this be done, or am I stuck with the latest available release of iPadOS?

Thank you.

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 9:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2023 10:15 AM

Rolling-back to an earlier version of iOS/iPadOS is not possible.

All System Updates are digitally signed by Apple - and can only be installed whilst the digital signatures remain valid. After release of a new iOS/iPadOS version, the immediately preceding version continues to be digitally signed by Apple - however, usually within a few days, Apple will revoke the digital certificate with which the earlier version is signed. As such, you cannot re-install (restore) an earlier version of iPadOS.

For your iPad Pro 10.5, iPadOS 16.3 is current; if you have an earlier version installed, this risks being updated to the current version should you attempt to restore the iPad.

Also consider that iOS/iPadOS updates include both functional and essential security updates. Restoring an earlier version of the OS would undermine the security of your device and your personal data. 

If you intend to repurpose or give away/sell your current iPad, you need to properly prepare it prior to disposal - Apple’s advice being outlined here:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2023 10:15 AM in response to svdrifter

Rolling-back to an earlier version of iOS/iPadOS is not possible.

All System Updates are digitally signed by Apple - and can only be installed whilst the digital signatures remain valid. After release of a new iOS/iPadOS version, the immediately preceding version continues to be digitally signed by Apple - however, usually within a few days, Apple will revoke the digital certificate with which the earlier version is signed. As such, you cannot re-install (restore) an earlier version of iPadOS.

For your iPad Pro 10.5, iPadOS 16.3 is current; if you have an earlier version installed, this risks being updated to the current version should you attempt to restore the iPad.

Also consider that iOS/iPadOS updates include both functional and essential security updates. Restoring an earlier version of the OS would undermine the security of your device and your personal data. 

If you intend to repurpose or give away/sell your current iPad, you need to properly prepare it prior to disposal - Apple’s advice being outlined here:

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Clearing and reloading an iPad's iOS install for sale or donation.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.