Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Change to white background in Chrome (Google is not my default)

Google is NOT my default search engine, so all online instructions I am finding are useless. I do use Chrome advanced search since DDG doesn't offer that. It has been stuck in dark mode for months; infrequently, I luck into the white background, but not often... Very hard to fill in the advanced search information using dark mode when you can't see what to type or where to type it. Nothing I have tried will give me the light background.

On my iPad, I do use the dark mode since I have problems with bright lights. So changing the display in my iPad's settings is not an option.

Has anyone figured out a work-around? Thanks for your help.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.3

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 6:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 10:00 AM

RUdeliberatelyconfusingme wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up! I am an old person, so now you know who you are dealing with... I thought Chrome was a search engine, an "upgraded" type of Google.

I'm an old person, too. Never let anyone tell you that, just because you're old, you can't learn to use technology.

I have the Chrome app on my home page to use only for the advanced search feature. So I guess in using the app, bypassing Google altogether?

The Chrome app is a browser, made by the same company that is responsible for the Google Search engine. . By default, it will use the Google search engine. So, no, you are not "bypassing Google".

Once on the Chrome page I search for "advanced search google" which opens as a black page with black writing. It sometimes opens as a white page but quickly corrects itself, and then the page becomes black and unusable.

Have you tried turning off the "Dark Setting"? Tap on the three parallel lines in the upper left corner. "Dark Theme" is about half way down".

Also, have you just tried typing "advanced search google" into whatever other browser app you use? You don't need to use Chrome to access it.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2023 10:00 AM in response to RUdeliberatelyconfusingme

Thanks for clearing that up! I am an old person, so now you know who you are dealing with... I thought Chrome was a search engine, an "upgraded" type of Google.

I'm an old person, too. Never let anyone tell you that, just because you're old, you can't learn to use technology.

I have the Chrome app on my home page to use only for the advanced search feature. So I guess in using the app, bypassing Google altogether?

The Chrome app is a browser, made by the same company that is responsible for the Google Search engine. . By default, it will use the Google search engine. So, no, you are not "bypassing Google".

Once on the Chrome page I search for "advanced search google" which opens as a black page with black writing. It sometimes opens as a white page but quickly corrects itself, and then the page becomes black and unusable.

Have you tried turning off the "Dark Setting"? Tap on the three parallel lines in the upper left corner. "Dark Theme" is about half way down".

Also, have you just tried typing "advanced search google" into whatever other browser app you use? You don't need to use Chrome to access it.

Oct 31, 2023 9:36 PM in response to RUdeliberatelyconfusingme

I think Idris has helped solve one of your issues, which is great.

I looked into how Dark Mode works for the Chrome app on an iPad. It's supposed to reflect how your iPad is set up.

That is, if your iPad is set to Dark Mode, so is Chrome. When the iPad is on light mode, Chrome is, too.

It does not look like Chrome's colors can be set independently.

Here's Google's help article about this: https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/9275525?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DiOS

And Apple's help article about Dark Mode: Use Dark Mode on your iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

Hopefully that helps a bit.

~Lyssa

Oct 27, 2023 12:46 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

My default search engine is DDG. I only use Google Chrome when I need to do an advanced search. I am not a tech person, so I confess that I do not understand the difference between a browser and a search engine. When I search the difference between them, I am given the same examples. (Google, Bing, Yahoo, DDG, etc.)

Oct 28, 2023 10:35 AM in response to RUdeliberatelyconfusingme

A browser is an app such as Safari, Chrome, Firefox or Brave. A search engine is a site that you go to with a browser (or access through the URL bar) to search for things. Common search engines are Google, DuckDuckGo and Bing. In the case of iOS, DuckDuckGo also has a browser app.

So, when you say you're using "Google Chrome", I'm not clear if you mean that you're using the Chrome app to access the Google search engine or if you mean you're using some other app to access the Google search engine.

Oct 28, 2023 2:09 PM in response to RUdeliberatelyconfusingme

Oct 31, 2023 9:25 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I don't have three parallel lines. I have three dots, and they don't offer me a option to change backgrounds. But you've solved my problem even though I tried to make it complicated by simply not understanding what Chrome actually is. All I need to do, as you suggested, is to type "Google Advanced Search" into the search bar of Duck Duck Go. DUH!! That never occurred to me. Chrome has nothing to do with my problem.

I just automatically assume that technology is complicated because it's still somewhat foreign to me, but you showed me that I was just overlooking the simplest answer. It was helpful for me to learn just what Chrome is, however. I didn't have a clue. So thank you very much. I'm now a happy camper since I can now do advanced searches way more easily than I thought. And Chrome can keep its dark background without bothering me in the least. Thanks from Texas!

Nov 1, 2023 6:52 AM in response to RUdeliberatelyconfusingme

I just automatically assume that technology is complicated because it's still somewhat foreign to me, but you showed me that I was just overlooking the simplest answer. It was helpful for me to learn just what Chrome is, however. I didn't have a clue. So thank you very much. I'm now a happy camper since I can now do advanced searches way more easily than I thought. And Chrome can keep its dark background without bothering me in the least. Thanks from Texas!

Anything unfamiliar can seem complicated so you're not alone there. Glad you got it working the way you want.

Change to white background in Chrome (Google is not my default)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.