Second hand iPad with MDM and profiles

Hi

I bought a second hand iPad. Really pleased with it. But in settings I noticed, just after I bought it - that there was a message saying "This iPad is managed by xxxxx". It was not signed in to iCloud.

I looked in "VPN and Device Management" and lo and behold - there was (I think) 2 profiles installed.

I panicked slightly as you can imagine.

But I was very easily able to remove them. I was not asked for a password or anything.

I have since wiped the iPad ("Erase all content and settings") and even upgraded to iPadOS 17.1 (from 16.xx)

Am I safe - or is there a chance it will suddenly get locked down?

Thanks in advance

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 10:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 10:11 AM

If have the option to delete the management profile(s) from iPad Settings - you are perhaps clear of potential issues. If a profile cannot be removed, you will need to seek assistance directly from the System Administrator who manages the device. 

Install or remove configuration profiles on iPad - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 27, 2023 10:11 AM in response to Andrew Davies

If have the option to delete the management profile(s) from iPad Settings - you are perhaps clear of potential issues. If a profile cannot be removed, you will need to seek assistance directly from the System Administrator who manages the device. 

Install or remove configuration profiles on iPad - Apple Support

Second hand iPad with MDM and profiles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.