iTunes Windows can't airplay to AppleTV's after TVOS 17 update

After TVOS 17 update, iTunes for Windows can no longer Airplay to AppleTV. Get an error message "the airplay device is not compatible with the current airplay playback configuration" when selecting an updated AppleTV from the speaker drop down. AppleTV's running TVOS 16 still work fine. iTunes is current release on two different computers. Issue is the same on three AppleTV HD's and one AppleTV 4K. Two AppleTV HD on TVOS16 have no issues.

Apple TV HD

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2023 8:46 AM

I have opened a support case - it was raised to developers - but no reply since than and it was about a month ago? Seems to be of very little intresst for Apple

16 replies

Apr 18, 2024 10:37 AM in response to Kirkus

The AirPlay device "[X] cannot be selected for audio output"

When I try to play from itunes (latest version - 12.13.1.3) on my PC to my TV, I get this message:

I am able to play to the TV from my:

1. iphone (ios 16.7.7)
  2. ipad (ios 17.4.1)

The LG TV is running the latest version of its software

itunes on my PC can play to:

1. Airport express with speakers
  2. Apple TV box (tvos 17.4)

• What does the error message mean?
  • What can I do to fix the problem?

Oct 29, 2023 1:47 PM in response to zepap

Yep. I have several 4K ATV’s and can’t play music via Airplay from Windows 10 PC to any of the devices since tvOS 17. Have another Windows 11 PC and can’t stream music from Apple Music Preview either. AirPlay does work when streaming from both to an older AirPlay 1 speaker (Klipsch G17). Also works when I connect an older ATV HD not updated to tvOS 17. Seems pretty obvious it’s tvOS 17 bug. Total frustration. Here’s the message from iTunes.

Oct 28, 2023 2:16 AM in response to Kirkus

Same here,

new setup of apple tv but it won't connect for airplay. Apple supoort extremly poor nothing form there at all.

seems i going to end my apple experience here as if i am unable to use the products a promised than it will walk out the door. Apple OS 17 is the biggest mistake ever happend.

Nov 18, 2023 6:54 AM in response to Kirkus

Anyone know if there’s an update pending for this? Seems pretty ridiculous that I can’t airplay anything from my PC via iTunes or Apple Music Preview to any of my Apple TVs. I must be old school, but I am in able to find much chatter regarding this issue, which seems like a pretty basic function. Started and seems isolated to when I upgraded my Apple TVs to TVos 17 and continues with 17.1.

Nov 19, 2023 9:17 AM in response to dpn281

I also opened a report last week and it’s in process. We’ll see. First response was “turn off your virus protection” etc standard response. But they’re still working. I asked if they had tested ANY windows based pc streaming iTunes to appletv and they didn’t know. I wonder if ANYONE can successfully stream from windows iTunes to TVOS 17. I use several Apple TVs to stream music across the house from my PC iTunes. TVOS 17 broke them all.

Dec 15, 2023 8:22 AM in response to lorennerol

Thanks for the update. New iTunes version 12.13.1.3 through Microsoft store fixed it for me as well on W10 PC. Have not tried AMP on Windows 11 machine yet, but I assume an update has been rolled out or will be forthcoming that will fix that as well. Will confirm that when I get a chance. This is great. Early Christmas gift. Frankly, I had kind of given up hope on this being fixed.

May 26, 2024 5:12 PM in response to Kirkus

What worked for me was that I went into AppleTV settings and made sure that the connection name was the same. Mine had an old name "Livingroom" and it couldn't connect. I changed it to match my connection name and it showed up in iTunes. Now I pick the AppleTV name I just updated to and iTunes will play but AppleTV needs to be playing on TV for it to play. Now, my Samsung TV selection is not pickable, but what the ****. It works!

iTunes Windows can't airplay to AppleTV's after TVOS 17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.