Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Contacts crashes when I attempt to create a new contact.

Contacts version 14. Sonoma 14.1

1.Open Contacts.

2.Click + sign, or Edit>New Contact.

3. Start to enter data.

4. App crashes

No matter how I arrive at the add data screen it crashes anywhere from 5 to 10 keystrokes into the process.

This does NOT happen when I create a new user and add data from there.

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 10:09 AM

8 replies

Oct 27, 2023 1:47 PM in response to Skwint961

If a simple reboot of your Mac doesn’t fix things, see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (press and hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (5 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode can very often correct weird software behavior by forcing the OS to do cache clearing and other housekeeping. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem remains, and because the issue doesn't seem to cross user account boundaries, you may need to reinstall macOS from Recovery mode. This does not require deleting your data or erasing anything, it simply lays a fresh copy of the OS in place of the old. But you should backup your data with Time Machine before doing this... just in case something goes sideways.

Apr 27, 2024 7:57 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Readers would be willing to work with you on the tedious process of debugging possible software conflicts.

Consider downloading and running this little "discovery" utility, Etrecheck. It changes NOTHING. Etrecheck was developed by senior contributor here, and uses system calls to collect often-needed information.

it contains little tests for speeds of devices, CPU utilization, memory usage, energy usage and a digest of recent problems, in one easy to use package. it does not even need to be Installed. Because less can be learned when your Mac is running great, best time to run is when your problems are actually occurring, if possible.

if you follow the directions faithfully, its report (pre-laundered of all personally-identifiable information) can be "Shared" to the system ClipBoard, then Pasted into an ‘Additional Text’ window in a reply on the forums.

How to use Etrecheck pro for free

http://etrecheck.com

Apr 27, 2024 6:24 AM in response to powellm1

Agreed. Can't speak for anyone else, but I no longer even bother with time consuming suggestions that start with safe mode but end up with a system reinstall when the real culprit is that Cupertino has just kicked a fixable bug--and frequently an entire app--to the curb. "It just works" until it doesn’t. Then "Oh well." My personal experience since I switched from Windows to OSX in 2008 has been that "Safe mode" has NEVER led to a fix for any native Apple software issue I've had with a Mac.

But, truth be told, sometimes it does just "go away."

Other times, like this, a third party app can help. In this particular case, Cardhop was a good workaround for me. I don't even bother with Contacts on OSX any more. Or I use my phone to add the contact. The IOS contacts app seems to work.

As alway, YMMV.

Apr 27, 2024 7:44 AM in response to Skwint961

<<. time consuming suggestions that start with safe mode >>

Safe mode is a fast way to eliminate ALL added third-party item conflicts at once. Most do not load in Safe mode.

"Works in Safe Mode, fails in regular mode" implies "It's something you added".

--------

Once you determine that a third-party item is causing the problem, the way to remove ALL third-party items completely is to make trusted backups, Erase your drive, and re-install MacOS.

If YOU would prefer to debug each added item separately, you are welcome to do so. But it is difficult to provide a general solution for, "it's a third party item conflict, but I don't know which one."

Contacts crashes when I attempt to create a new contact.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.