HEIF photos

it used to be pictures taken became JPEG in my photos. Now they are HEIF, which is not compatible with my adobe. So now it’s another process to transfer them from my phone to my PC. What the heck?

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 27, 2023 6:53 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 28, 2023 12:36 AM in response to 6willys

As Matti Haveri wrote - set the Settings > Camera > Formats to "Most Compatible". the Camera Settings are explained in more detail in this document: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

There are two settings on the mobile devices that might turn the photos into JPEGS, the Settings > Camera and the Settings > Photos > Transfer Mac or PC. If you set this to "Most compatible" the HEIF files should automatically be converted and downloaded as JPEGS images or H.264 videos.

It is tempting to keep the photos and videos on the iPhone in the space saving HEIF format and only convert them to JPEGs when transferring them to a computer. But I cannot recommend to do that. The conversion to JPEG when transferring to a computer can interfere with the duplicate detection on import, at least on a Mac. If you want your photos in the JPEG format, shoot them directly as JPEGs to avoid an additional format conversion. It might not be a problem on a Windows PC.

Alternately, to profit from the space saving HEIF format, keep shooting in HEIF to save storage on all your devices, but convert the photos to JPEG, when you want to share them or use them in external editors.

HEIF photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.