Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

How to get .PNG from .HEIC in Apple Photos App

When I take a picture on my iPhone 13 Pro Max it syncs with iCloud. I can view this image on all my Apple devices, including a MacBook Pro, iPad Pro and the previously mentioned iPhone.

When I view a photo's file information on the iPhone, it says it is in HEIF format.

When I view a photo's file information on the MacBook Pro, it says it is in HEIC format.

If I share the photo with my wife, on Apple Messages, from within the Photos app, on my MacBook Pro, and then save the photo out of Apple Messages, back to to my desktop, it says it is in HEIC format.

If I share the photo with my wife, on Apple Messages, from within the Photos app, on my MacBook Pro, and then save the photo out of Apple Messages on my iPhone, it saves as JPEG format.

What happened to the PNG format? Why is JPEG the default and not PNG? Why does the photo have to be exported to get a PNG, but it automatically converts to JPEG? How can I get photos to automatically convert to PNG?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Nov 15, 2023 3:31 PM

9 replies

Nov 17, 2023 6:11 PM in response to WebDevRobert

The short answer for the default save as being JPEG now would be that it provides a small file size, compatible and universal across multiple platforms.

PNG - BIGGER file size.

• Lossless compression (no data lost during image compression).
  • Transparency in pixels/backgrounds, editing & bigger file save.
  • Better for editing and printing (RGB only).
  • Slower data transfer/internet load, due to bigger size.
  • If you need internet transparent backgrounds/pixels then PNG.
  • BIGGER

JPG/JPEG - SMALLER file size.

• Lossy compression (data lost during image compression, but should be negligible depending on settings used).
  • NO transparency capability.
  • Not as good for editing or printing (RGB only).
  • Good for Archiving once all editing has been done.
  • Faster data transfer/internet load, due to smaller size.
  • NO internet background or pixel level transparency.

Additional Info:

NewsPapers, Tabloids, Private Media Stations are now and have for a while been requiring images being sent in for Media Reports to be in RAW JPG/JPEG as it is easier to detect unwanted editing in the image/s.

Nov 18, 2023 1:22 AM in response to WebDevRobert

PNG never took off? Are you kidding me? Where did you get that gem?

1. They stopped developing the format, hence the poor metadata. support. Why did they stop developing it? It never took off.
  2. Take a moment and list all the cameras and phones and whatever that shoot png? It on't take long. Here, I'll leave a space for you to do it:
  3. List of devices that shoot PNG:
  4. <whistles a while>

Nov 15, 2023 3:45 PM in response to WebDevRobert

To convert an image:

File -> Export and select the target format in the Photo Kind dropdown

What happened to the PNG format? It never took off. No cameras shoot in PNG. It was designed to be a lossless format with small sizes for the web, but Jpeg is too entrenched. Plus the spec was never finished. It has very poor metadata support.

Nov 18, 2023 4:46 AM in response to Yer_Man

So only digital camera adoption of the .PNG format makes it a valid format? That’s really short-sighted.

https://w3techs.com/technologies/overview/image_format from November 18th of this year reports 82% of websites use PNG vs 77% using JPG/JPEG.

https://scanse.io/blog/usage-statistics-image-file-formats/ reports 82.1% of websites use PNG vs 77.9% using JPG/JPEG.

JPG/JPEG does a poor job of compression while retaining image quality. It does a poor job of handling text-heavy images / text added to images. It does not support transparency at all.

What format will the image be converted to for use? Most likely PNG.

Nov 19, 2023 7:39 PM in response to WebDevRobert

Not knowing your work flow needs ACDSee have iOS camera and image apps which can be used standalone or integrate with Apple Photos

ACDSee Pro has:

Settings->Raw Capture Mode-> Off, DNG, DNG/Processed and DNG, Processed.

Settings->PROCESSED IMAGES->Format-> JPEG, HEIC, PNG and TIFF.

It has other settings, you can take an image direct from the ACDSee app, edit in their app, have the image saved for back end replication/sharing through Apple Photos.

How to get .PNG from .HEIC in Apple Photos App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.