You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to retrieve my old photo library from my MacBook to an external drive?

How do I retrieve/view my old iphoto library on an external hard drive while using the Monterey OS which should allow this action but I am unable to figure by myself.

[Re-titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 30, 2023 2:24 PM

10 replies

Oct 30, 2023 6:44 PM in response to The_Old_Crank

The_Old_Crank Said:

"How to retrieve my old photo library from my MacBook to an external drive?"

-------

Exporting Photos from Mac to External Hard Drive:

Go Here: Move your Photos Library to Save Space on your Mac - Apple Support

Format this, First:

Format the as a Mac Device, and then perform the transfer. Erase and Reformat a Storage Device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Oct 30, 2023 7:29 PM in response to The_Old_Crank

The_Old_Crank Said:

"How to retrieve my old photo library from my MacBook to an external drive?: I am thankful people are trying to help this very tech un-savvy old man out in his crisis but even the replies are confusing me so far..: I did manage to connect the Porsche Design external hard drive to my laptop I was able to open said Time Machine from the icon.[...]"

-------

About this Drive:

If you see "Time Machine" for the name of the card drive icon when plugged in, then this was formatted for a Time Machine Backup, likely for another device. So, do you still have that device? If so, get a new Hard Drive. If you want to use this for Mac, then you've got to format this for Mac (and accordingly). With macOS12, you need to format this to APFS format type.

Take this in for Service:

If not so tech savvy, then set up a Genius Bar Appointment at your local Apple Store. There, it will be looked at and you'll be provided with your options.

If that is too technical for you, then take this to yo

Oct 30, 2023 7:07 PM in response to TheLittles

I am thankful people are trying to help this very tech un-savvy old man out in his crisis but even the replies are confusing me so far..

I did manage to connect the Porsche Design external hard drive to my laptop I was able to open said Time Machine from the icon.

When I tried to open either the iphoto icon or the copy of the iphoto materails. both of which I could see in the old hard drive info and both had the circle with the diagonal line through it and trying to then open either lead to a window saying I needed to perform the download the iphoto update, which I did.

I finally figured out there was no time machine icon in my keychain found it, open it and I am now hopefully. uploading the all of the old files into the time machine, it's copying the disk so fingers crossed I might yet find the images I need at some point.

Because I literally fear doing something wrong and then have zero idea of how to undo any mistakes I sort of go i into paralysis mode or wind up too panicked to proceed alone.

If anyone has any other thoughts or suggestions or can even tell me what I've thus far is correct I'd very much welcome the reinforcement.

Oct 30, 2023 7:49 PM in response to TheLittles

Again thanks for your attempts at making things understood, of course I got confused but I certainly understood go to the Apple Store portion of your advice and that's likely the answer. I am presently waiting for the package from the old hard drive to finish opening.

Success!!!! I can actually see some of my old pics coming up along with a bunch of preset icons & things you used to be able to put into edits etc. this is a preview before importing everything into my laptop. I will keep everyone posted as you assisted this cranky old man to get to this point..

Oct 30, 2023 8:44 PM in response to TheLittles

Hello again,

So believe or not the file is still opening to preview and decide what I want to import. I am ale to see some old images in what's being churned out, what I think are videos, but thus far there's an overwhelming amount of weird images also churning out like 98% of everything is things like the Amex logo, in fact all sorts of useless logos and bizarre drawings, things that look like wallpaper samples, pics of different key functions, emoji-looking images etc. an entire cavalcade of visually unappealing items I can assure all that I certainly would never have downloaded for any reasons. But every once in a while, after an extremely long hiatus, I see an occasional picture of my own so just trying to remain patient and positive ll will work out.

Honestly, I am absolutely stunned I ever made it to this juncture so there's that..lol...

Oct 30, 2023 8:54 PM in response to The_Old_Crank

The_Old_Crank Said:

"I will keep everyone posted as you assisted this cranky old man to get to this point.. [...]Honestly, I am absolutely stunned I ever made it to this juncture so there's that..lol..."

-------

Excellent job troubleshooting!

Well, you learn a load on these forums. Thanks for certain. And being just text and punctuation (without a provided video), all one can do is assume, and interpret.

Oct 30, 2023 10:19 PM in response to TheLittles

Hello again,

Still patiently waiting for everything to now be imported into a viewable manner. I really am an old guy, who is often homebound in my elevator-free fourth floor NYC walk-up apartment which makes jotting off to the nearest Apple store a most unlikely event. They have been kind enough in the past to pick up and deliver other devices that needed attention but I've found a marked change over time that no longer makes this possible. I had never even thought of trying this forum as I am not as adept at understanding written instructions as I am better suited to the "watch & try" approach but in my desperation last night I thought to give it a whirl and I am duly impressed with both your responses, frankly I did not seriously think anyone would reply, and even more surprised that I somehow seem to have muddled through. Although I am STILL waiting.. posted

Thanks again for the help, I'll keep you posted if or when I have finally gotten the paydirt I've been seeking..lol..

Oct 30, 2023 10:51 PM in response to The_Old_Crank

UPDATE: I have no idea what is happening other then I opened photos app went to file went import it opens the right window to allow me to choose the files off of the old hard drive which there are three large ones I then have been able to choose a file it opens a catalog of all of the old images to then allow me to import some or all and I tried importing all it said it was when I didn't see anything happening for a while and went to try the import button again and then nothing actually imported to photos despite I was able to see and even choose the old pics.

So close and yet so far it seems...

How to retrieve my old photo library from my MacBook to an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.