Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Volume Buttons Not Working iPhone 15 Pro iOS 17.1

In some applications the Volume Buttons on my iPhone 15 Pro running iOS 17.1 just don't respond. I have to adjust the volume through control center. Restarting the phone fixes it temporarily and so does closing the app and reopening sometimes.

Any permanant fixes?

iPhone XS, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 31, 2023 1:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 8:44 PM

My upper volume is not working at all. Only way to adjust the volume up is to press on the lower volume button and then slide my finger up to increase the volume. I have done everything to fix it, still not working even with the last 17 update. I have an iPhone 15 pro max.

111 replies

Dec 11, 2023 9:19 AM in response to rwa7251

Hello, has anyone figured this out? IPhone 15 pro Max, happened since day one. At first I thought it only did it with do not disturb on but now that's not the case. Snapchat has been my biggest issue app. But that's only because it's my most used app. This is not a hardware issue, it's not a case issue, I didn't even have a case for a while, this is a software issue.

Nov 26, 2023 1:43 PM in response to rwa7251

I have iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Happened to me today volume down and up not working. Pressing Action button makes it work for few seconds then happens again. Then I restarted the phone now it seems like it’s working fine.

could be that I keep taking off my tight fitted finewoven case every few days.

just hope it doesn’t happen again.

never had this problem with my iPhone 14 Pro Max. Maybe silicone case was easy to take off on my iPhone 14 Pro Max.

Jan 12, 2024 8:49 AM in response to rwa7251

There must have been an update or something in last few nights because my side volume buttons on my IPhone 15 Pro Max stopped working this morning and I haven’t changed the volume in several days. After searching for awhile I found that in Settings in the Sounds and Haptics under the Ringtones and Alerts the “Change with Buttons” had been switched to off. Once turned back on everything works fine.

Dec 8, 2023 4:57 AM in response to rwa7251

I too have a new iPhone 15 Pro Max. I’ve been having probs with the volume not working at times, as if it’s on mute, but it’s not. So I just went to settings n realized that Bluetooth is connected to my ear buds, which I haven’t used n days. I thought they wud disconnect when I put them back n the case. But I just recently started using ear buds so I’m still learning. Apparently I need to go to Settings n disconnect when I’m finished using them bcuz that fixed my volume probs.

Volume Buttons Not Working iPhone 15 Pro iOS 17.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.