Microphone not working when plugged to AUX on iPhone 15 Pro Max

I recently upgraded to an iphone 15 pro max. With my iphone 13, I used to have a lightning to AUX cable in my car which enables music/ sound to play the iphone through the speakers and enable me to take calls handsfree. I replaced this with a USB- C to AUX cable (to suit the iphone 15) and the music/ sound plays through the sound system fine, however the microphone no longer works (i.e. answer calls and person on the other side cannot hear me). It also has disabled Siri- if I say "hey Siri" this isn't recognised. Please help how to enable the microphone

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Nov 1, 2023 7:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 3:11 PM

I have this problem too. I have iphone 15 and I have now tried 3 different aux-usb c cord options and nothing works... I need to respond hands-free to text messages and make phone calls while driving. This is so frustrating! Apple needs to figure this out

57 replies

Dec 3, 2023 2:58 PM in response to BronteAP

Hey guys, I got a solution.

the problem is with the USBC-AUX adapter itself...

When I used this one (https://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-C-Headphone-Jack-Adapter/dp/B07K25P3N1/) it never worked for my mic (the headphone work but aux-based mic never worked with this adapter, thus my broadcast dosn't work!!)

But...... this one just worked: https://www.amazon.com/Google-Headphone-Adapter-Type-C-Phones/dp/B07J28BYT9

All you need is a Google G016A USBC-AUX adapter which works perfectly for either your headphone or your aux-based microphone ... it is so ridiculous that google one works better than the Apple one ....

Jan 12, 2024 2:05 PM in response to BronteAP

I just fixed my problem!

I use an Aux cord (stereo) nothing special to a UGREEN USB-C to 3.5mm audio adapter. I also connect to a USB-C Belkin rockstar adapter which lets me charge my phone and listen to music/make calls.

the way I fixed it was go into Setting > Sound & Haptics. Scroll down to the bottom and click Headphone Safety. There should be “USB Audio Accessories” listed. Click that. Inside there, initially, I clicked “Forget All USB Audio Accessories”.

I then connected my aux to usb-c adapter into the phone and I was prompted is this a headphone device or other device. Do NOT choose other. Choose Headphone.

I was then able to make a call and the ring back tone came over the speakers in my car and then call audio was present once the call was answered.

I then took the USB-C out from my phone and plugged it into the corresponding port on my Belkin Rockstar device along with a charging cable and my phone now charges and makes and receives calls over speakers again. Plus play music.

I hope this helps someone. It was definitely a firmware upgrade issue as I never changes any settings. Me deleting and redoing the USB audio accessory thing was just being thorough.

IF you choose OTHER device, you can slide the slider next to “connected to headphones” and it should work.

Mar 13, 2024 2:25 PM in response to BronteAP

So peeps, just an update, I got in contact with Apple customer service and I went through a load of tests with them online and they haven’t found an answer, I’ve got to book an appointment to see the Genius Bar so they can see the issue in person, I’m hoping that they will see this as a hardware issue, but I will keep you posted about any further progress and answers

Nov 8, 2023 4:14 AM in response to BronteAP

I’m having the exact same issue you’re experiencing. I had no problems with the iPhone 14 Pro (aux to lightning converter). As soon as I swapped to the new aux to usb-c converter with the new iPhone 15 Pro, the microphone stopped working (no problems with the speaker). Functions like Siri, text dictation, phone calls, etc. all are not operating when connected to this new converter. You have to unplug the iPhone for the microphone to start working. This makes driving and talking pretty annoying, since you have to use speaker phone. I wonder if Apple will have a solution to this soon. I’m hoping it’s just a software update they can make, I really don’t want to buy a new car.

Dec 17, 2023 8:17 PM in response to BronteAP

Is Apple using us as Bata testers for Iphone 15 Pro?

My problem is using USBC to auxilliary jack (male) connector cable:

1) Plays music audio output very well through my connector and auto sound system.

2) Does NOT play phone audio output AT ALL!!!!!!!!

3) No, there is no Iphone Menu option that pops up to ask me which system I want the sound to come through. Well there is and there is only two options when it does pop up and those options are a) Iphone, or b) speaker, buit not the car system.

3) This system worked excellent Through my older Iphones including my Iphone 13 Pro that I traded in for the lemon phone. I'd really like to have my Iphone 13 Pro back if Iphone 15 Pro is incapable of playing through the aforemention system.

APPLE this is a safety hazard if I can't use my phone hands free and all your older phones worked just fine.

Please tell me how to fix this problem.

Dec 21, 2023 2:44 PM in response to BronteAP

I’m having the same issue. I had been using

my previous iPhones in my older vehicle by plugging my phone into the cassette deck adapter using a lightning to 3.5mm dongle. It worked great for playing music and phone call audio through my car speakers. Now, with 15 Plus, I can still get music through this connection (USB-C to 3.5mm), but call audio will no longer go through the car speakers. This makes it a big hassle to try and use speaker phone while driving, since it doesn’t really go loud enough. Hopefully Apple can get a fix for this soon.

Jan 4, 2024 8:03 PM in response to BronteAP

I upgraded from iPhone 12 Pro Max to an iPhone 15 pro max and I first got the phone, my purchased ugreen usb-c to aux worked for both phone calls and music just fine.

somewhere along with way (probably an update) it changed and now I cannot even use the same adapter that worked for phone calls at all now. Music plays just fine but the audio from my phone no longer sees it as a headset connected for phone calls.

i believe Apple changed something in a firmware release that caused this issue.

Jan 27, 2024 5:15 PM in response to BronteAP

Microphone is not working when plugged into AUX on iPhone 15 Pro MaxI’ve used the this type of adapter when I had the iPhone 14 Pro Max. It’s important to me that I’m able to use my iPhone 15 Pro Max handsfree when driving. Playing music works just fine, but when trying to use the “Hey Siri” feature to make calls or to text, it does not work.

It’s extremely disappointing and frustrating!

Does anyone know of an adapter that works?

Is this an Apple issue that can or will fixed?

Jan 14, 2024 6:26 PM in response to BronteAP

Hey everyone,

I found the fix and it’s kind of a funny one. Buy the official Google USB C - Aux adaptor and it all work perfect. As a high quality external device and for headphones, aux etc.

i went through all the official adaptors and bad quality 3rd party ones until i eventually got the google one!

Come on Apple get it right!

heres the adapter:

https://store.google.com/au/product/usb_c_headphone_adapter?hl=en-GB

Microphone not working when plugged to AUX on iPhone 15 Pro Max

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.