Browser not supported on iPhone XR iOS 16.7.2

Hi iPhone XR iOS 16.7.2

Had this (image below) message appear for many websites I often visit.

I see the homepage load for a brief second, then POOF, this page appears.

It happened in the spring/summer, so I updated iOS and cleared all history data etc I could. It wasn't a problem for a couple of months and is annoyingly back. Nothing seems to fix it. I can access the same site on other iPhones and on Mac....Grrr

Is it some kind of scam ware?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Nov 2, 2023 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2023 3:40 AM

I found this with iphone X and it was not resolved by ios 16.7.2, 16.7.3, 16.7.4 etc. Alternative browsers had no issue.

The fix that worked for me was to go into Safari settings, Advanced, Experimental Features, scroll to the bottom and set Reset All to Defaults - although turning ON Intersection Observer worked for me as well.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2023 3:40 AM in response to Mehere_too

I found this with iphone X and it was not resolved by ios 16.7.2, 16.7.3, 16.7.4 etc. Alternative browsers had no issue.

The fix that worked for me was to go into Safari settings, Advanced, Experimental Features, scroll to the bottom and set Reset All to Defaults - although turning ON Intersection Observer worked for me as well.

Nov 2, 2023 7:30 PM in response to Mehere_too

After numerous experimentation with multiple devices and multiple operating systems, I have reason to believe the problem is actually twofold.

It's not a scam. It is the result of particularly ill-conceived page code, and it's something its developer needs to fix.

I see the homepage load for a brief second, then POOF, this page appears.

I was able to duplicate that, but only a couple of times.

As it turns out that particular website uses a Javascript to (among other things) measure the response time for loading a page element for the sole apparent purpose of deciding whether it will load or not. If it takes too long to execute that Javascript, it displays that error page.

The substance of it is incorrect in that its allegation of an "unsupported browser" lacks justification. There is nothing wrong with the browsers you have been using, other than the fact Safari is taking longer to execute that Javascript than the page code expects.

You were right after all. It's your iPhone, but it's also webpage code that's just a bad idea. You may be able to get the page to load using a browser that executes that particular Javascript fast enough to placate that ill-conceived "browser check" that serves no apparent useful purpose.

What's worse is that the link to update Safari redirects to a site notorious for hosting malware in the past. It could have just as easily redirect to the correct Apple website. Not to worry — no malware can affect your iPhone — but it illustrates how poorly thought out that particular page code happens to be.

All of this suggests that perhaps your iPhone isn't working as fast as it should, but that's a subject for a different question.

For a workaround try another browser such as Brave:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/brave-private-web-browser-vpn/id1052879175

Nov 2, 2023 12:49 PM in response to Mehere_too

Clear History and Website Data did not work?

Try turning off Wi-Fi temporarily and reload the page using cellular data. Same problem?

Try loading that site in Private Browsing: Turn Private Browsing on or off on your iPhone - Apple Support. Same problem?

Is the website URL in your screenshot the one you want to load? For what it's worth it loads beautifully on my iPhone, so it's not a site problem as such. If all your efforts fail it might be limited to your ISP.

Nov 2, 2023 2:41 PM in response to Mehere_too

Reset that iPhone's network settings according to Step 7 (Reset your network settings) in If your iPhone or iPad won't connect to a Wi-Fi network - Apple Support.

That action will also cause your iPhone to restart, which would be my next suggestion anyway. While you're at it, you might as well reset your Wi-Fi router or modem: "Restart your router and cable or DSL modem by unplugging the device and then plugging it back in." Step 6.

After everything restarts, reconnect to your usual Wi-Fi network and try again.

Nov 2, 2023 4:29 PM in response to Mehere_too

This is nuts. That site loads on every iPhone I have which happen to be three different ones running iOS versions 15.8, 16.7.2 (yours) and 17.1. Same with several different Macs running all sorts of Safari versions from very old to the very latest. From that I conclude it's not a website problem, but it might be a problem with the server(s) hosting it.

Your question is identical to this one: Browser not supported? - Apple Community. Unfortunately the conclusion of at least one knowledgeable contributor implicated the website, which does not seem plausible given your experience and mine. Needless to say I do not agree with that assessment, and I agree it's a problem with your iPhone. But what?

I may have some more suggestions after gathering some information about that website to determine just what code it is using (if anything) to determine the browser version resulting in that spurious warning. In the meantime I will ask the site Hosts to move this Discussion to the iPhone Community. You're welcome to post a brand new question there, or just wait until I have something to add to this one. At the moment I'm out of ideas, but I'll probably have more after sleeping on it.

Please review If Safari isn't loading websites or quits on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support to determine if there is anything I may have overlooked.

Nov 2, 2023 1:04 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you. I tried all of those suggestions and on cellular only with wifi off I get this message :

Safari can’t open the page because it cannot establish a secure connection to the server.

Yes, I can also access that website as well as many others such as nelsonrowing.ca with my laptop using my wifi or other people’s iPhone with my wifi or cell provider. So is it correct that it has to be on my phone ? I have noticed that since this started cell loads incredibly slowly… a big change, and often pages won’t load at all and I just get message. I am suspicious something is running in background on my phone or I have settings incorrect?

Nov 3, 2023 11:22 AM in response to John Galt

Thank you so much for you persistent effort to figure this out for me. I do need to delete a bunch of photos etc from my phone as the memory is pretty full. Perhaps that’s causing the slow loading of the webpages?

Even to someone who doesn’t code it seems a tad stupid to boot you out essentially, just because of a Taegu loading. Is it so the website wouldn’t get ‘plugged up’ should it ever become that popular? I am grateful. Thank you. Cheers!

Browser not supported on iPhone XR iOS 16.7.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.