Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

MacBook Pro is draining battery while it's turned off - Battery discharges 30% overnight

I have a 2021 M1 Macbook Pro, Most of the time I used it with the charger, and from time to time I let the mac to run out of battery, maybe about a month or more I realized the battery started to drain faster than it usually does, and a couple of weeks I realize the battery drains even when it's shut down.

When computer is power-off it drains about 30% every 6-9 hours. It seems like the computer never has turned off and is still working (and discharging the battery). It occurs when either the computer is sleeping or powered-off.

The battery has a normal condition of 92%. I have tried things such: running the apple diagnostic test (no problems found), disabling the background apps, turning off all the improved battery functions, activating the saving energy functions, I turned off Bluetooth and wifi before turning off the Mac, disabled non-native software such Microsoft Office, I even reinstall the latest macOS operating system (Sonoma 14.0) Nothing is working, the problem persists.

Did anyone had the same problem? If yes, Did you solve it? How did you do it?

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 2:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2024 5:04 AM

Hi there, i have 2021 M1 MacBook Air and i have the exact same problem. Could you have found a solution for this?

Similar questions

12 replies

Apr 22, 2024 6:59 PM in response to Dodo_

I just had the issue with one of my organization's Apple laptops which appears to be some sort of software issue since I've performed extensive tests on the battery and macOS detected the closing of the lid in the logs, but macOS kept busy until the battery reached 3% and entered hibernation mode.

For people testing, they should also try putting the laptop to sleep manually by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "Sleep" (or if their Lid Angle Sensor is faulty).

Software issues are one of the common reasons for the battery draining. iCloud & other cloud file syncing services tend to be a common reason as well. Figuring out exactly what software or service is causing the problem can be tricky though.

Apr 22, 2024 8:24 AM in response to HWTech

THIS>>>. "A bad or misconfigured Lid Angle Sensor could be at fault too, although you can check if this sensor is working by logging into macOS, then closing the lid."

I tested this several times by closing & opening my macbook and realized my the sensor doesn't always work. After reviewing my battery health I can see this happened to me on Sunday, where my macbook was running the whole time while the screen was off.

Thank you for your tip!!!

Nov 7, 2023 8:07 AM in response to asbentos

Yes, it is strange.

The worst part is that the battery had lost lot of energy while the MBP is shut down. I suspect your MBP is not shutting down fully and also some app(s) working in the background and draining the battery. It may also be a hardware problem.

Try shutting down the MBP through the terminal

sudo shutdown -h now

which is immediate. You can also try

sudo shutdown -h +5

to watch what happens. It should then shut down fully in 5 minutes after click return key.

If it doesn't shut down fully, and the battery is still draining, you should check with a technical service.

Nov 7, 2023 8:28 AM in response to chdsl

Hi chdsl, thanks for your reply!

I will try your commands and I will see what happens tomorrow.

I ran a Diagnostic tool on Mac and it has thrown me that there may be an issue with the accelerometer or gyroscope (IMU001).

The warranty has expired few months ago :(

I will inform you tomorrow if something happens with the shutdown option

Regards,

Andrés

Nov 12, 2023 9:42 AM in response to asbentos

Make sure to disconnect the power adapter and all physically connected external devices prior to selecting "Shutdown" since disconnecting items from the laptop can trigger the laptop to power back on. Also avoid touching any key on the keyboard or even the Trackpad since that can also trigger the laptop to power back on. Apple loves to include very useless & annoying features these days.

Before powering off the laptop, make sure to press the Caps Lock key so its LED is lit. When the laptop is completely powered off, this LED should go out so at least you know the laptop reached a power off state and did not get stuck closing down macOS.

Edit: The laptop can be triggered to power on if the lid/sleep sensor is triggered as well. Sometimes this is triggered by moving the display, or even by moving the laptop to or from a metallic or magnetic surface. A bad or misconfigured Lid Angle Sensor could be at fault too, although you can check if this sensor is working by logging into macOS, then closing the lid. Slowly open the lid and peer inside to see whether you can see any video....if you can, then this sensor is not working. Normally you should be greeted with a login prompt as well unless you have the laptop configured to automatically log in.

Apr 22, 2024 9:26 AM in response to asbentos

When you set your computer down in one place, connect it to AC power.

That computer is a battery-CAPABLE device. It is not optimized as a battery-operated device. (It is NOT an iPhone.)

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which could be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

MacBook Pro is draining battery while it's turned off - Battery discharges 30% overnight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.