Apple gift card scam emails

I don't know if this is a new thing, getting emails rather than than phone calls, but someone hacked my friend's email and I got some very authentic looking emails apparently from my friend , which started off just asking if I could do him a favour, he'd got laryngitis and couldn't talk over the phone...... After several emails slowly building up a convincing picture I was scammed to purchase an apple gift card for a 'niece with cancer....' Yes, I know, I should have picked up some very subtle hints. I got suspicious when I got another email asking me if I'd mind doing another one for a larger amount, and in $ instead of £ and called my friend, who was tearing his hair out trying to rectify it. Now they've got two of my email addresses, and those of many more of his contacts. What's the risk of my own email being hacked? I've checked with my email provider who didn't really offer any advice. It seems the only way you get to know if you've been hacked is when friends start contacting you. Are hackers using AI to generate scams now? All the english grammar was good.

MacBook Air (2018 – 2020)

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 7:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2024 2:23 PM

Mike-RM,

Spotted one of these last week in our issues in-tray. Indeed, the grammar is improving.

For the attention of the Apple Community, cyber security researchers, Google searches, etc, here is a summary of the scammer's message trail:

The initial email came from an apparently legitimate [ISP based] email address and read:

I hope all is well with you? I can't call for now. Please could you respond if you receive this.
Actually, I need a favour from you!

The scammer uses a different gmail account (why is that not a surprise) and tells us this:

Sorry to bother you. I'm unable to speak over the phone due to throat pain caused by laryngitis.

Finally the scammer emails with:

I really need to get an (Apple gift card) for a friend's daughter who is a cancer patient. I promised her as a birthday gift but I cannot do this right now because of the throat pain caused by laryngitis. I tried purchasing it online but unfortunately all efforts were to no avail. Wondering if you could get it from any shop around you ? I'll pay back

Nice try.

So if you're reading this and you have just received a similar unsolicited communication, AND you think it is suspicious BUT, you feel obliged to answer because it's from a legitimate family, work or friend's email, what do you do? A trick is to make a reply with a question. For example, "great to hear from you again! Is Doggo still at the vet?" Only a legitimate sender can send a legitimate response. Such as, "you know it died." If you can, text or call the real human as it will be news to them that their email address is now compromised.

Finally, report the phishing email to your appropriate national cyber security authority. All you will need to do is just forward the offending email message or messages to them.

Have a nice day.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2024 2:23 PM in response to Mike-RM

Mike-RM,

Spotted one of these last week in our issues in-tray. Indeed, the grammar is improving.

For the attention of the Apple Community, cyber security researchers, Google searches, etc, here is a summary of the scammer's message trail:

The initial email came from an apparently legitimate [ISP based] email address and read:

I hope all is well with you? I can't call for now. Please could you respond if you receive this.
Actually, I need a favour from you!

The scammer uses a different gmail account (why is that not a surprise) and tells us this:

Sorry to bother you. I'm unable to speak over the phone due to throat pain caused by laryngitis.

Finally the scammer emails with:

I really need to get an (Apple gift card) for a friend's daughter who is a cancer patient. I promised her as a birthday gift but I cannot do this right now because of the throat pain caused by laryngitis. I tried purchasing it online but unfortunately all efforts were to no avail. Wondering if you could get it from any shop around you ? I'll pay back

Nice try.

So if you're reading this and you have just received a similar unsolicited communication, AND you think it is suspicious BUT, you feel obliged to answer because it's from a legitimate family, work or friend's email, what do you do? A trick is to make a reply with a question. For example, "great to hear from you again! Is Doggo still at the vet?" Only a legitimate sender can send a legitimate response. Such as, "you know it died." If you can, text or call the real human as it will be news to them that their email address is now compromised.

Finally, report the phishing email to your appropriate national cyber security authority. All you will need to do is just forward the offending email message or messages to them.

Have a nice day.

Nov 4, 2023 12:28 PM in response to Mike-RM

To check your login sessions you need to log in into your mail account for example, go to the settings and look for security/last activity tab or something like that. If you have gmail account you need to go to the google account settings and then go to the security tab to find this option.

Here you could find how to save e-mails as files in native Mail app in MacOS.

Apr 8, 2024 6:50 AM in response to Mike-RM

Perhaps you have been aware of high odds that victimization is better

than lottery winner chances, if you or anyone you actually know, do go

ahead and participate in these sort of Scams.. Fake inheritances, fake

sick relatives out-of-country; robbed &/or now broke, in hospital, etc.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

//support.apple.com/en-us/102568

"Use these tips to avoid scams and learn what to do if you

receive suspicious emails, phone calls, or other messages."

(Read entire related article ~ there always is more. Note 'how to report' these)

"If you're suspicious about an unexpected message, call, or request for

personal information or money, it's safer to presume it's a scam and

contact that company directly if you need to. If you're concerned about

a security issue with your Apple device, you can get help from Apple."

1. "To report an SMS text message, take a screenshot of the message and

send it via email. If you forward a message from Mail on your Mac, include

the header information by selecting the message and choosing Forward As

Attachment from the Message menu."

Family Emergency Scams | Consumer Advice

https://consumer.ftc.gov/all-scams/family-emergency-scams

How to Identify and Report Apple ID Phishing Email Scams

https://www.imore.com/how-identify-and-report-phishing

Get help with security issues - Apple Support

//support.apple.com/en-us/111756

Apr 8, 2024 6:02 AM in response to Mike-RM

Just got this very same email today supposedly from a friend in Ireland. Luckily I felt suspicious and said I didn’t purchase money products online and suggested she buy a physical Visa card that could be used at Apple. I was then asked to buy a physical apple gift card for £200. I did say that I thought she would have problems spending a card in AUD$ in Ireland, then said I’d get back to her in a few days when I got home.

Then I texted my friend to check. Have not yet had a reply. Also discovered the same email on two addresses.

in addition I told her about the death of someone she knew well while she lived here and the response was completely unlike her.

Looking forward to the next step.

Nov 4, 2023 8:23 AM in response to Mike-RM

Hello,

I'm very sorry to hear that. Do you provided any of your personal details (eg. credit card number, another e-mail address etc.) to the scammer or click any links or install and used any software the scammer sent you?

If yes, please contact your bank first, tell them whole story and block your credit card then contact local police station and report a scam. Next, follow the steps mentioned below (MFA activation and password reset etc.)

If no, you shouldn't be worry about this incident much. Report it at your local police station and just as precaution log in to your online accounts (e-mail first) and change passwords and enable 2FA (Two-Factor Authentication) or MFA (Multi Factor Authentication) where available. In the last step on all accounts find option log out from all devices and use it.

If you want to check that you were hacked, please check last login sessions, folders: sent, spam, trash. You should also check if any new rules where added to your e-mail client.

Nov 4, 2023 9:12 AM in response to Michaju

Many thanks for that advice, Michaju. I didn't click on any links, I don't think they provided one. I accessed the apple gift card site directly via my browser and fortunately they should't have my credit card details. They didn't appear on the Apple card details and I didn't give it to them. However, I've been onto my credit card issuer and they've cancelled that card, and I should be able to get a refund from them, I hope. I did give my bank account sort code and account number, but my bank says there is no risk of them being able to hack the bank's two factor security etc. Anyway, I emptied that account just in case. I've reported the scam on the UK Action Fraud website. I would have thought that Apple could investigate who cashed the gift card as its only use is for Apple products, but maybe the scammers have a solution to that as well.

Changing passwords is good advice and BTinternet recommended that too, I'm working on it. I can't see anything suspicious in my Mac Mail junk, bins etc. No new rules that I can see. I'm not really familiar with how rules work, but the only one is 'News from Apple', which only has apple.com email addresses so I guess that's legit. I don't know how to check the last login session, nothing suspicious has appeared since the problem yesterday.

I need to keep the scam emails for evidence to claim on my credit card insurance. I've created a Mac Mail folder I created under 'On my Mac' and moved them there. I hope that's safe. I don't think I can copy them to files like I used to be able to do on Outlook.

Apple gift card scam emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.