Why would the Sound recognition symbol permanently stay in my text Message line

I don't know exactly when nor why this happened. The Sound recognition symbol appeared in my Text Message line in the color red. It does not go away no matter what I try. It has been there for days. Probably about 10 days although I did not count.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 9:44 AM

Is this the symbol you’re talking about?

14 replies

Nov 5, 2023 9:49 AM in response to MISilverfox

Here’s a brief history, which will explain why you are seeing that icon:

In iOS 15 and prior, the only logo you saw was the voice recording logo. To do dictation, you would use the microphone in the keyboard.

In iOS 16, they moved voice recordings to a discrete iMessage app, also changing the icon to a microphone, and making it activate dictation. This made it a bit cumbersome to use the voice recording feature.

In iOS 17, they changed it to where it would display your most recently used one. So if I most recently used dictation (via the dictation button in the keyboard), I would see this:

But if I most recently used voice recording (via the iMessage app), it would show the icon you are seeing to allow easy voice recording.

This also is adaptive, depending on the conversation you’re currently in.

If you want to see the dictation button, simply use dictation, and it will revert back to the icon you’re used to.

I hope this helps answer your question!

May 11, 2024 9:35 PM in response to MISilverfox

I’m not tech savvy AT ALL but I have the same problem on my iPhone 13 with the red audio lines to the right of the text box but only with one of my contacts. There’s no microphone to tap and I’ve enabled dictation but it’s still there. It’s driving me crazy! I’ve sent 2 embarrassing recordings to this contact by accident already. Did you figure out how to get rid of it? Thank you

Dec 8, 2023 11:08 AM in response to MISilverfox

Regarding Sound recognition symbol: I am very sorry about the long delay to answer.

This did help me understand. I do not use dictation or sound except for once and so I am fairly dumb on the topic.

I am disturbed because I often accidentally touch that button and so am recording stuff I did not intend to. I wish I could move this button completely off that line. However, I realize that would be unpractical so I have accepted the fact that I will have to make the change and be more careful. At least I now know what that sign does if touched. Thank you

MISilverfox

Jun 14, 2024 6:11 AM in response to MISilverfox

It is a most annoying feature this red, wavy line symbol. After embarrassing accidental recording and sending I have found this information.

It seems that the red 5 line symbol is inserted by Apple’s AI (don’t get me started on the literal meaning of Artificial Intelligence) happens when a voice recording is done in a particular text string. It cannot be eliminated from that text string because the Apple software assumes that you want to use it again. What I’ve found that works is to simply delete that text string. No harm. No foul. The individual will still be able to text you and the new string should be free if this nonsense.

Why would the Sound recognition symbol permanently stay in my text Message line

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.