T2 continual firmware problems

Been having continual problems with firmware since I bought T2 machine. Have reformatted and upgraded several times. Reformatted, revived, and upgraded a few months ago (to Ventura). Problems were resolved for about four days and then returned. Upgraded again a few days ago (to Sonoma). Problems were resolved for about 24 hours and then returned. This tells me it is a software issue. Problems vary in firmware UI, but there are consistencies in some other problematic behaviors also. The consistencies include: remote rebooting, especially when I leave home (not based on time away from machine). Concomitantly, I get: flickering Touchbar; dialog box upon soft reboot saying my computer shut down with a problem, would I like to reopen apps, and when I say no it does so anyway; variable behaviors with resetting SMC. Recently discovered Safe mode and Diagnostics do not work at all. Startup Security Utility is newly missing from firmware UI, so I cannot disable firmware passcode to reset PRAM or go into verbose mode. Some most recent console logs not viewable. When attempting first aid in recovery mode for firmware partition, got a dialog box saying it could take several hours and would be better if I was in recovery mode (again, I was *in recovery mode). Can no longer access terminal through recovery mode. Using terminal via OS utility, basic commands not working, like ls. I tried becoming a developer because I am tempted to delete property list files and KEXT files at firmware level, but do not know enough to know what will be safe vs. what could brick my machine. However, I am extremely impoverished and cannot afford the $99. I don't have a car and am disabled so bricking machine is costly and difficult. Please help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Nov 6, 2023 9:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 6, 2023 3:59 PM

mongolianswamprat wrote:

Been having continual problems with firmware since I bought T2 machine.

Have reformatted and upgraded several times. Reformatted, revived, and upgraded a few months ago (to Ventura). Problems were resolved for about four days and then returned. Upgraded again a few days ago (to Sonoma). Problems were resolved for about 24 hours and then returned. This tells me it is a software issue.

Problems vary in firmware UI, but there are consistencies in some other problematic behaviors also. The consistencies include: remote rebooting, especially when I leave home (not based on time away from machine). Concomitantly, I get: flickering Touchbar; dialog box upon soft reboot saying my computer shut down with a problem, would I like to reopen apps, and when I say no it does so anyway; variable behaviors with resetting SMC.

Recently discovered Safe mode and Diagnostics do not work at all. Startup Security Utility is newly missing from firmware UI, so I cannot disable firmware passcode to reset PRAM or go into verbose mode.

Some most recent console logs not viewable.

When attempting first aid in recovery mode for firmware partition, got a dialog box saying it could take several hours and would be better if I was in recovery mode (again, I was *in recovery mode). Can no longer access terminal through recovery mode.

Using terminal via OS utility, basic commands not working, like ls. I tried becoming a developer because I am tempted to delete property list files and KEXT files at firmware level, but do not know enough to know what will be safe vs. what could brick my machine.

However, I am extremely impoverished and cannot afford the $99. I don't have a car and am disabled so bricking machine is costly and difficult. Please help.

check for Firmware password set..(?)

sudo firmwarepasswd -check

allows you to verify you have the correct password (without rebooting).

sudo firmwarepasswd -verify

deletes the firmware password. You'll need the current one to delete it, of course.

sudo firmwarepasswd -delete

You do not mention having used the Configurator...(?)

ref: Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

if no insight or resolve I would—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 6, 2023 3:59 PM in response to mongolianswamprat

mongolianswamprat wrote:

Been having continual problems with firmware since I bought T2 machine.

Have reformatted and upgraded several times. Reformatted, revived, and upgraded a few months ago (to Ventura). Problems were resolved for about four days and then returned. Upgraded again a few days ago (to Sonoma). Problems were resolved for about 24 hours and then returned. This tells me it is a software issue.

Problems vary in firmware UI, but there are consistencies in some other problematic behaviors also. The consistencies include: remote rebooting, especially when I leave home (not based on time away from machine). Concomitantly, I get: flickering Touchbar; dialog box upon soft reboot saying my computer shut down with a problem, would I like to reopen apps, and when I say no it does so anyway; variable behaviors with resetting SMC.

Recently discovered Safe mode and Diagnostics do not work at all. Startup Security Utility is newly missing from firmware UI, so I cannot disable firmware passcode to reset PRAM or go into verbose mode.

Some most recent console logs not viewable.

When attempting first aid in recovery mode for firmware partition, got a dialog box saying it could take several hours and would be better if I was in recovery mode (again, I was *in recovery mode). Can no longer access terminal through recovery mode.

Using terminal via OS utility, basic commands not working, like ls. I tried becoming a developer because I am tempted to delete property list files and KEXT files at firmware level, but do not know enough to know what will be safe vs. what could brick my machine.

However, I am extremely impoverished and cannot afford the $99. I don't have a car and am disabled so bricking machine is costly and difficult. Please help.

check for Firmware password set..(?)

sudo firmwarepasswd -check

allows you to verify you have the correct password (without rebooting).

sudo firmwarepasswd -verify

deletes the firmware password. You'll need the current one to delete it, of course.

sudo firmwarepasswd -delete

You do not mention having used the Configurator...(?)

ref: Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

if no insight or resolve I would—

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Dec 18, 2023 9:49 PM in response to mongolianswamprat

Hey! How is it going!?

I have almost the same syntoms. My macbook restarts when I close the lid and leave it there for 1 hour. Other restarts occur while im working and the lid is up. Touch bar also flickers. A local repair shop told me it was an issue with the T2 chip and wand to charge me 500 usd to repair with the risk of damaging the machine permanentley. That aint gonna happen.

Im glad I found someone with similar symptoms.

Did you find a solution?

I saw this video and thought this could be a possible solution.

https://youtu.be/1hYxBb-M7lU?si=Fwg_iK_bRYMVnVKJ

T2 continual firmware problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.