My iCloud email appears twice on the mail app on my Mac

See screenshots.

In the side-bar, in the SMTP list, and in Connection Doctor, iCloud email account appears twice in Mac mail app.

This would be tolerable, but I can't send any email because I get SMTP errors.

I've seen several users report this issue here. They get unhelpful responses like "you're confused", "It's a favourite", "try signing out of iCloud and back in".

I'm pretty sure this is a Mail App preferences/cache issue. Or iCloud account confusion. But before I start deleting preferences and removing accounts, wondering if anyone has seen it before and knows a specific solution please?

I would delete entirely the iCloud account from this machine, then re-add. But I have 200Gb of Photos originals that would need to re-download, and I'm worried about duplicates or lost data.

I note that iCloud mail can be enabled/disabled in Settings> iCloud, Settings>InternetAccounts, and Mail>Settings. If it's just a question of deleting a plist or something, let me know.

Thanks.

Mac mini (M1, 2020)

Posted on Nov 6, 2023 12:09 PM

2 replies

Dec 2, 2023 2:59 AM in response to misnoma

Create a new admin account in users and groups Change Users & Groups settings on Mac - Apple Support and configure mail accounts Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

The photos will also sync in new user account , when photo library Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support , its preferences are set up Change preferences in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

See the article Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud - Apple Support

Select one of the following options:

• Download Originals to this Mac: Stores the full-size versions of your photos both on your Mac and in iCloud.

My iCloud email appears twice on the mail app on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.