Playing Apple Lossless and other High res files on my hifi

For the past few years I have had the following satisfactory setup:

• iMac running iTunes/Music into an outside DAC enhanced by the Bitperfect app (hasn't been updated for years but still works). These are all native Lossless files either ripped from my CDs or purchased
  • This feed (via cable) to a capable D/A converter and then into my pre-amp etc. (classic Quad 66/606 feeding ESL63s, for those who know)

The sound quality of the above is excellent but it's somewhat clunky and there is often something that doesn't work completely well (e.g. using my phone as a remote). The iMac has been sold so now I have to plug my laptop in each time I want to listen to music. A bit heavy going.

So I'm now looking for a simpler solution. Perhaps a box with HD and built-in DAC that I could drive through my phone? Or an Apple TV connected to a HD (since they no longer have proper storage)?

Any ideas? Sorry for the long description but life is complicated for lovers of proper sound who hate subscriptions these days...

Posted on Nov 6, 2023 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 6:49 AM

Do you still want to rely on Apple Music app to manage your library? If the answer is no, you can ditch Music app and transfer your music to another "audiophile" app/software/service/hardware to manage your music library and its playback to your DAC.

The above mentioned "audiophile" alternative could be:

• A Mac-running server/remote app combo like Audirvana, Roon or others
  • A proprietary software/hardware solution like Aurender
  • A mobile accessible DLNA music library via a NAS/Mac acting as a DLNA server
  • Other audio specific solutions (there're many on the market)

Granted, some of these solutions are subscription based which you dislike...

This will free you from the limitation of the wired only connection that Apple currently requires to play hi-res lossless files (iOS/iPadOS/macOS -> USB DAC). Let alone the automatic sample rate switching that Mac's Music app is missing (the only workaround is using the third party LosslessSwitcher app still in early development stages).

The Apple TV has the "problem" that its output is always resampled to 48 kHz (if this bothers you).

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2023 6:49 AM in response to Moscool

Do you still want to rely on Apple Music app to manage your library? If the answer is no, you can ditch Music app and transfer your music to another "audiophile" app/software/service/hardware to manage your music library and its playback to your DAC.

The above mentioned "audiophile" alternative could be:

• A Mac-running server/remote app combo like Audirvana, Roon or others
  • A proprietary software/hardware solution like Aurender
  • A mobile accessible DLNA music library via a NAS/Mac acting as a DLNA server
  • Other audio specific solutions (there're many on the market)

Granted, some of these solutions are subscription based which you dislike...

This will free you from the limitation of the wired only connection that Apple currently requires to play hi-res lossless files (iOS/iPadOS/macOS -> USB DAC). Let alone the automatic sample rate switching that Mac's Music app is missing (the only workaround is using the third party LosslessSwitcher app still in early development stages).

The Apple TV has the "problem" that its output is always resampled to 48 kHz (if this bothers you).

Nov 9, 2023 10:54 AM in response to Moscool

An external independent box would mean of course that your Apple music library would cease to be the music source. The contents of the library (music tracks) should be transferred in another library not managed anymore by Apple Music's app.

A few brands come to my mind:

Auralic

HiFi ROSE

Aurender

Innuos

LINN

Lumin

Naim

Cambridge Audio

Matrix Audio

Bluesound

Some devices come with storage included (to store the music files), others can pick the music from external (USB) memories/discs or network storage.

Prices vary quite a lot. Some models offer redundant hardware for your case (DACs and amplification).

Consider that all systems that offer a proprietary remote app usually use their operating systems on the controlled device. Reliability of the brand (I mean regular software updates, bug fixes etc.) is important, IMO.

You have to check the process to add music to the library (simply copy files or manage it through a computer via the local network).

The brand list of course is just an example. The market offers quite a broad selection of audio digital sources nowadays.

Nov 16, 2023 3:41 AM in response to Moscool

I have no direct experiences with NAS so unfortunately I can't give any valuable recommendation. Synology and QNAP are quite popular. Both have their proponents.

Being a NAS a network device, I'm quite confident that a switcher/router is needed in order to put it in communication with a streamer.

It's strange, though, that you can't easily find a music server featuring on-board storage.

For the record, this is my setup (probably not what you're looking for – still, it could be interesting):

• My music tracks are still managed in Music app because for now I find it convenient to rely on Apple's ecosystem
  • Keep in mind that I'm also a Apple Music subscriber – every owned album is either matched with Apple Music's counterpart or uploaded on iCloud if not available in the Apple Music's catalogue
  • The Music library is stored on an external SSD connected to a Mac mini (for size reasons)
  • The Mac mini acts as a Roon Server as well
  • Roon looks as a musical source to the Apple Music folder on the external SSD (basically the tracks are shared among Apple Music and Roon)
  • The Playlists are managed in Apple Music and exported as XML file to be shared with Roon
  • Every time a change/update is made in Apple Music Playlists I have to export the XML file in order to let Roon pick the changes (a little annoyance, still manageable for me, though – I don't make changes every day)
  • Roon ignores everything related to Apple Music streaming service (the downloaded tracks are DRM protected and thus unusable by Roon)
  • In case an album is available in DSD, the DSD format files are manually put in the relative album's sub folder alongside the ALAC version used by Apple Music. Music's app ignores DSD because it's an unrecognized format. I manage the metadata of the album to make a distinction between the DSD and the ALAC/AIFF version (Disc 1 for DSD and Disc 2 for ALAC/AIFF). The DSD is used by Roon, ALAC/AIFF by Apple Music (Roon, of course, can read the ALAC/AIFF version too if needed)

I can listen to my owned music either via Apple Music or Roon – both are available at home and on-the-go. Here are the possible scenarios:

• At home: from Mac via Music app and BitPrefect app – Mac connected via USB to a DAC (Topping DX7 Pro) – AIFF/ALAC lossless, no sampling rate limits
  • At home: from iPhone/iPad via Music app – iPhone/iPad connected via Lightning/USB to a DAC (Topping DX7 Pro) – ALAC lossless up to 192 kHz
  • At home: from Mac via Roon app – Mac connected via Ethernet to a Streamer (Lumin T2) – every format covered – no sampling rate limits
  • At home: from iPhone/iPad via Roon app – iPhone/iPad connected wirelessly to a Streamer (Lumin T2) – every format covered – no sampling rate limits
  • At home: from Mac/iPhone/iPad Via AirPlay (Lumin T2 is an AirPlay receiver as well) – ALAC lossless limited to 44.1 kHz due to AirPlay's protocol limit
  • On-the-go: from iPhone/iPad via Apple Music streaming (ALAC lossless up to 192 kHz – no DSD, of course)
  • On-the-go: from iPhone/iPad via Roon ARC app (Roon Server remote access – every format covered – no sampling rate limits)

Nov 9, 2023 9:15 AM in response to Marco Klobas

This is very helpful Marco.

What I'm after is a 'box' from which I can choose albums and possibly drive it with my phone. Said box would be connected to my DAC etc. The reason I mention a box is that non dedicated stuff (e.g. NAS + third party software) tends to either not work 100% or become unstable over time with hardware and software blaming each other.

I no longer have my old golden ears unfortunately but Bit Perfect definitely 'does something' which is audibly different to the ripped files. So ideally said box shouldn't just replay the file but would also apply magic dust along the way.

Brand suggestions are welcome. I'm London based, but I guest most stuff is available internationally anyway...

Thank you

François

Nov 16, 2023 2:38 AM in response to Marco Klobas

Thank you Marco

Equipped with your insight I went to the shops... The situation in the UK is that all brands have now discontinued on-board storage, except for the small number of devices still ripping CDs. So my solutions are either NAS + Streamer into my current preamp/amp setup, or same with an integrated stream/class D amp.

As a subsidiary question, would you recommend any NAS, and can those in your experience be connected directly to the streamer via ethernet (without going through the router first)?

Nov 17, 2023 3:50 AM in response to Marco Klobas

Thanks Marco

Lots of options for you there. I had narrowed my choice down to two items: NAD C399 (or 389) and Cambridge Audio EVO 150. All have recent high quality DACs and can power my Quad box speakers adequately. In the end I will go for the Cambridge because it has a wired (ethernet) connection, not just wifi. In my book relying on wireless for core operations is asking for trouble over the long term...

I found a NAS pre-configured for audio at a reasonable price, so this will be the only addition at this stage. Not sure I need Roon but I will check it out once everything is installed.

Thanks again for your help

Nov 18, 2023 7:53 AM in response to Moscool

Apple Music library from a Mac using iTunes Remote (AKA Remote app) on iOS works great.

I'd just stick with that and your wired version (if you can).

I run no wires from a home office Mac mini M1 to play Airplay to various Airplay receivers. When I play my ripped CD collection this way, using the iOS Remote app, it is 16/44 ALAC from end to end in “Single” mode (as far as I can tell). If I want to send to multiple Airplay devices, I switch to the “Multiple” screen where I can select multiple Airplay devices (just a few HomePod minis and some Yamaha MusicCast speakers) and, likely, drop to AAC 256. Which I am OK with.

The only glitch with Remote is it takes a few seconds for the Mac to shake out the cobwebs so, when you launch Remote in iOS, give it 5 or so seconds before hitting the big icon to get to your music.

This might not be the answer you were looking for but, hopefully points you in the right direction. Cost, potentially, being zero with this method. Well, you might need something like a Belkin Soundform Connect for your main system. Belkin (and Apple partner) has a coupon now for that. I just got one and, it is rather excellent. I think better than my old Airport Express, which is now a print server. There is also the WiiM series but, if you are using Apple Music, you basically only need Airplay to your system. Simple. The DAC in the Connect is not as good as an external DAC of your own choosing, like a Schitt Modi, SMSL, or Topping. I run the Connect via Toslink to a Modi 3 I have in my office. Which also allows other devices using USB and coax. But I prefer Topping with LED screen.

Playing Apple Lossless and other High res files on my hifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.