Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

No setting for default homepod pair on Apple TV - temporary only

Equipment:

Apple TV A1625 (64 GB) - which I believe is the Apple TV HD 4th gen

2 brand new Homepods

Samsung Frame 55” TV

My Homepods are setup in the Home app in the same room and are paired with each other.

When I try to add them to Apple TV to use as a pair of speakers, I cannot add it as default. They can only be added as Temporary in Settings > Video and Audio > Audio Output. They’re brand new; they’ve been doing this for the past month since I got them. As temporary speakers, it reverts back to the default (TV Speaker) frequently and I have to manually go in and select the Homepods under Audio Output or under the control menu in the upper right. There is no option other than TV Speaker under Default.

What am I doing wrong? I do not want to have to manually select the correct speaker every time I use the Apple TV.

HomePod, 17

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 11:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 11:50 AM

There is no option other than TV Speaker under Default.

Such are the options for the Apple TV HD 4th generation. Unfortunately, you would need a later model (A1842 or later) for the HomePod speakers to be set as default.

Set up home theater audio with HomePod or HomePod mini and Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 7, 2023 11:50 AM in response to dantrimble

There is no option other than TV Speaker under Default.

Such are the options for the Apple TV HD 4th generation. Unfortunately, you would need a later model (A1842 or later) for the HomePod speakers to be set as default.

Set up home theater audio with HomePod or HomePod mini and Apple TV 4K - Apple Support

No setting for default homepod pair on Apple TV - temporary only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.