Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mac Mail no longer downloads mail from Rogers in Canada?

In Sept., my Mac Mail client stopped bringing in mail from Rogers. It connects, (no lightning bolt symbol), and the activity does show the connection is made. Rogers claims that Apple has changed the settings and it can't negotiate the password, and I'll have to use webmail or Outlook until Apple updates the software. Mac Mail will still send mail.

Does anyone have a solution?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 1:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2024 2:06 PM

Evidently, after creating a case regarding this back in May and timely follow up, Rogers has indeed elected to no longer support Mac Mail outright.

The real failure here is that no one from the VP downwards thought to provide any timely messages / updates that there was a potential of sun-setting this support.

Furthermore, the company failed miserably to present alternatives to the situation.

To presume customers would be pleased with Rogers Yahoo Mail app with little-to-no sophisticated features / functionalities and constant advertising is a slight to every longstanding Rogers / Apple Mac Mail customer.

If anyone here has some work-arounds on how to restore Mac Mail and/or alternatives I'd welcome a thoughtful explanation and guidance.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2024 2:06 PM in response to Swelldame

Evidently, after creating a case regarding this back in May and timely follow up, Rogers has indeed elected to no longer support Mac Mail outright.

The real failure here is that no one from the VP downwards thought to provide any timely messages / updates that there was a potential of sun-setting this support.

Furthermore, the company failed miserably to present alternatives to the situation.

To presume customers would be pleased with Rogers Yahoo Mail app with little-to-no sophisticated features / functionalities and constant advertising is a slight to every longstanding Rogers / Apple Mac Mail customer.

If anyone here has some work-arounds on how to restore Mac Mail and/or alternatives I'd welcome a thoughtful explanation and guidance.

Apr 4, 2024 2:13 PM in response to MLister

This exact thing has happened to me. I tried trouble shooting myself by deleting and re-adding the rogers and now I don't have on my computer at all except webmail. I've spent time with Rogers customer service who couldn't help at all and deflected me to Yahoo. Yahoo couldn't help either. I was putting off contacting Apple to see if they could help as I don't have 3 hours straight to trouble shoot with them too. I would though if I knew they had a fix.

May 1, 2024 7:32 AM in response to Swelldame

I just spent 6 hours on the phone with the helpful clowns at Rogers when they finally admitted that they no longer support the Apple Mail App... They blamed it on, very sheepishly, mail spam if you can imagine anything so insane! They say they will no longer support the App and we must all use Rogers Yahoo mail. In my particular case, the only alternative to Rogers for service is Bell. Despite the fact that Bell has Fibre Op on a pole not 55 meters from my home, they refuse to bring it into our subdivision where 28 homeowners would happily leave the mess at Rogers. Instead, they offer only satellite TV, basically dial up internet and no phone! What a Phone company... What an internet provider.... indeed... What a Country!!!!

Apr 20, 2024 9:22 AM in response to Blueberry1960

Just bought a new macbook pro in April 2024, replacing my 2012 macbook pro. Mail app worked fine with my Rogers email on my old mac, but cannot get authorization on new mac, despite using Time Machine to transfer my data. I went to my local Rogers store who told me that Rogers has discontinued supporting rogers.com email accounts, which is likely the cause of the issue. Rogers has decided not to tell their customers this information. Current rogers.com email accounts will be honoured (but not supported), and no email accounts whatsoever will be provided to new Rogers customers.

Nov 28, 2023 2:22 AM in response to Colette1500

It is especially ridiculous given they have this page online.

Follow these instructions if you see this icon next to your account.

Head for Mail Settings. On the Accounts page, select your account and the Server Settings section.

Click on the drop-down menu and select Edit SMTP Server List...

Click on the + button at the bottom of the list and fill in the description and server name fields.

Enter any description you want (Rogers, Yahoo!, whatever).

The server name is smtp.mail.yahoo.com.

Enter your full email address and its password (that you have previously validated in Yahoo!'s webmail).

If necessary enter the Host name again (the server name).

Uncheck the box Automatically manage connection settings.

Set the port to 587, and check the box to Use TLS/SSL.

Select Password authentication.

Once you close that window you may see two servers, one offline (the previous one) and the new one. Just ignore the offline one.

Your account should now be back online.

Mac Mail no longer downloads mail from Rogers in Canada?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.