Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Sync hidden files and folders (.dotfile) in iCloud

I need to sync a folder containing hidden files and folders (actually a git repository).

I created the folder on my Mac but I can't see the files starting with a dot (the hidden ones) neither in iCloud Drive on the web nor on windows or on my iPhone.

Is this thing supported in iCloud?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 12:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 12:22 AM

basteez Said:

"Sync hidden files and folders (.dotfile) in iCloud: I need to sync a folder containing hidden files and folders (actually a git repository). I created the folder on my Mac but I can't see the files starting with a dot (the hidden ones) neither in iCloud Drive on the web nor on windows or on my iPhone. Is this thing supported in iCloud?"

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Viewing and Syncing Hidden Folders with iCloud:

You Can't. You cannot sync hidden files and folders with iCloud --and with good reason. Many of these are System files. So, if you were to accidentally delete them, then your Mac may be come inoperable in an instant. If one were to hack into your computer, then they'd trash your Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 9, 2023 12:22 AM in response to basteez

basteez Said:

"Sync hidden files and folders (.dotfile) in iCloud: I need to sync a folder containing hidden files and folders (actually a git repository). I created the folder on my Mac but I can't see the files starting with a dot (the hidden ones) neither in iCloud Drive on the web nor on windows or on my iPhone. Is this thing supported in iCloud?"

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Viewing and Syncing Hidden Folders with iCloud:

You Can't. You cannot sync hidden files and folders with iCloud --and with good reason. Many of these are System files. So, if you were to accidentally delete them, then your Mac may be come inoperable in an instant. If one were to hack into your computer, then they'd trash your Mac.

Apr 5, 2024 2:39 PM in response to reimertz

reimertz Said:

"You can definitely sync hidden files. They just don't show up in the Files App / iCloud web interface which is very frustrating."

-------

Sync'ing Files:

You're correct --syncing hidden files is an option. But remotely via iCloud is the issue here --not a computer. But --on iCloud, if one could hack into your Account, they'd boggle with these and poomph! --your computer would be all messed up. That is why iCloud does not permit this --it is the way cloud stage is defined --it is not local storage. Its matter of security and privacy, for account and files, respectively.

Sync hidden files and folders (.dotfile) in iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.