Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Pay/Wallet not working after iOS 17.1.1 Software Update!

After my iOS 17.1.1 software update this morning, my Apple Pay / Wallet does not want to work. I have tried to reload my cards from the Bank Apps, I have restarted and I have logged out and back into my Apple ID Profile, all without success. What is the fix, please?

iPhone 13, iOS 17

Posted on Nov 9, 2023 5:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 11:10 AM

Same issue here: iPhone 15 Pro Max Apple Pay not working - Apple Community

I even replaced a 4 weeks old iPhone 15 Pro Max with a new 15 Pro Max and after updating to 17.1.1 I have AGAIN the same issue. I doubt both phones have hardware issues. IOS 17 is simply a buggy system and Apple is not doing anything to fix it.

108 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2023 11:10 AM in response to ScarletTerblanche

Same issue here: iPhone 15 Pro Max Apple Pay not working - Apple Community

I even replaced a 4 weeks old iPhone 15 Pro Max with a new 15 Pro Max and after updating to 17.1.1 I have AGAIN the same issue. I doubt both phones have hardware issues. IOS 17 is simply a buggy system and Apple is not doing anything to fix it.

Nov 13, 2023 9:52 AM in response to ScarletTerblanche

Hi,

I just had the same issue after the update. After the update, the phone went into data recovery mode but booted fine. Everything worked except for Apply Pay. All my cards said they were not available. Apple Cash was disabled as well. I reached out to support and we logged off and logged back into my iCloud account. The issue was still there. She then asked me to reboot and call back if still getting errors. After the reboot, everything worked fine and I could add all my cards. So try logging off and on, then reboot.

Good luck.

Nov 24, 2023 5:41 PM in response to ScarletTerblanche

Apple Pay still not working on IPhone 13 Pro Max after 17.1.1 following hard reset, log out of iCloud and hard reset, ERASE and reinstall, still no luck, called Apple, reinstalled the update, still no dice, have reset 30 times even through iTunes no bueno. Seems like the 17.1.1 “Apple Pay Fix” has only broken more people. Additionally, multiple glitches all day, screen black (can hear sounds and feel vibrations), screens flickering, etc. Seems extremely intentional, after seeing “I need to pay money to have this fixed” from several people.

Nov 25, 2023 11:09 AM in response to ScarletTerblanche

I had similar issue after updating to iOS17. I tried contacting Apple support through chat and did some diagnostics and said it is most likely hardware issue. The agent advise me to either go to Apple Store to do a more advance service or have a conversation with senior tech support on the phone which I did. However the supervisor, Nick, who I spoke to was not helpful at all and very dismisive. I have iPhone 13 Pro Max with expired Apple care (as I intend to upgrade to iPhone 15 in a couple of months anyway) and suggested that I go to Apple Store and pay out of cash for an that they have created in the first place (by upgrading to iOS 17). I never dropped my phone or submerge it in water that may have explain the hardware issue. The problem just started after the upgrade.

Nov 23, 2023 8:33 AM in response to ScarletTerblanche

I had the same issue & followed the suggested fix someone else posted on this thread:

1.sign out of icloud

2.restart (hard boot) phone by pressing volume up, volume down & press & hold the side button until the screen goes black

3.wait for phone to reboot

4.sign back in to icloud

5.re-add cards from “previous cards” in the wallet

I was able to make a purchase successfully after these steps & it only took a few minutes.

Nov 19, 2023 10:56 AM in response to ScarletTerblanche

My iPhone 12 updated to iOS 17.1.1 overnight. Did some sort of data recovery process upon reboot but when it started up again I got a message saying there was an Apple Pay issue. Apple diagnosed remotely that there was an Apple Pay sensor issue, suggested I go to the local Apple Store to have the software re-installed. Rep there did not even offer to re-install, just went straight to needing a $465 CAD repair. Was a bit sassy with me when I asked why the pricey repair when the problem was clearly caused by the software update. Totally not acceptable IMO, Apple! I will try multiple reboots in the hopes it will help. Phone still works otherwise and sure, I can pull out the actual card but it is frustrating that Apple's update messed with the hardware on my phone. UPDATE: I removed my cards from Apple Wallet and then tried to re-add, but got an error message that I could not set up Apple Pay. Rebooted and was able to add one card successfully, but another shows up as a previous card and I get an error to try later when I try to re-add it. Will keep rebooting in the hopes that I can add the second one and then keep my fingers crossed that I will actually be able to use Apple Pay. UPDATE 2: The card that was showing up as a 'previous card' could not be added after several reboots, I discovered that I was able to remove it from the 'previous card' list by tapping on 'previous cards' then on Edit, and then the removal icon. Was able to successfully add it back into my wallet after that. WHAT A SCAM THAT APPLE WENT RIGHT TO A COSTLY HARDWARE REPAIR.

Nov 24, 2023 3:20 AM in response to suzqco

Hi folks, I'm hoping for some help. iPhone SE has the problem listed above... scanning for my dad with his diabetes sensor has been intermittent for last few weeks (since upgrading to 17.1.1).. .he doesn't use Apple Pay.

I've just found you guys. Librelink, unable to assist. due to me not understanding their accent, or them mine, I have been searching all day for NSC errors not NFC...

On apples advice I have reset the entire phone and added only the librelink app that my dad urgently needs and it won't scan his diabetes sensor. We know it's not the app as it works on an old iphone7 and my phone.

I don't know what else I can do. it seems I've done the extreme thing of a full factory reset (via computer, not phone)... and 5 hrs later still no fix.

Any help / guidance is very much appreciated.

Nov 25, 2023 11:11 AM in response to atwithers

That’s what I was pointing out! Why ask your customers to pay for a service that they have created in the first place? And yet the supervisor Nick told me that it has to be that way. He said that their diagnostic tool is 100% accurate (I disagree as nothing is 100% sure specially when it comes to softwares and hardware) so Apple wants me to pay for a problem that they created in the first place.

Jan 11, 2024 12:34 PM in response to DanielMaldonadoNYC

It’s called due diligence. Take a little personal responsibility and explore/learn about what you’re purchasing. If you thought your purchase was covered for the length of the finance agreement, whose fault is that you didn’t know?

Did Apple twist your arm to purchase a phone from AT&T or did you have free will and make that decision? Did you even read the warranty you were getting with the device? When do people accept responsibility for the decisions they make? How far do you want to go?

Jan 11, 2024 1:30 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Apple’s planned obsolescence considers a QTY 5 year old laptop “vintage”…a QTY 2 year old phone out of warranty. They charge their customers a premium while throttling bandwidth speeds & producing chinesium bricks with failed internal components by the hundreds of thousands while continueing to pledge allegiance to the environment. News flash: Make a product that lasts and your impact on the environment will increase a millionfold. (FAULTY NFC SENSOR / BUTTERFLY KEYBOARD LEVEL UNLOCKED)

You can continue to try and deflect the blame back at me but I’m not the only one who feels this way.

Steve Jobs is turning over in his grave right now.

Apple Pay/Wallet not working after iOS 17.1.1 Software Update!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.