iPhone 15 Pro Max Apple Pay not working

When i try to use Apple Pay on my new phone, after double clicking on side button, message comes up to bring phone nearer to the terminal, i have had phone in all positions on the terminal but payment will not complete, then the wallet app freezes when i try to cancel app and restart. It is not just one cards it happens on all cards. I have tried cancelling cards and re-applying them, restarting phone, these have not resolved the problem. Meanwhile apple pay on my watch is working fine. Anyone had this problem, or has ideas to fix?

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 28, 2023 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 6:43 PM

I got my new iPhone 15 pro max today it won’t let me add the card it just say invalid details check information an try again Iv contacted my bank they said everything as should there end Iv tried logging out an back in don’t no what else to do

116 replies

Oct 6, 2023 6:57 AM in response to Bewlaybrother

Same issue on my new iPhone 15 Pro -- but only with the Apple Card. Double click, says "hold near reader" (which I am) but it never connects. Removed and readded my Apple card and it worked once but twice this morning I had the same problem again. I doubt it's a hardware issue because I have used Apple pay with other cards and had no problem at all -- it's just with the Apple Card. Very frustrating....

Oct 1, 2023 7:43 AM in response to iPhone15glitch

good morning to everyone in this thread. I just got off the phone with apple support about the Iphone 15pro Apple pay canceling transactions/ not recognizing payment issue. they ran a remote diagnostic on my device and confirmed no Hardware issue of any kind every system is running ok including the Apple Pay Unit. they informed me the day the payments stopped working is the same day my phone automatically updated to ios17.0.2 this update is the issue. They informed me multiple people are having the same issue. they will be rolling out a patch update in the coming days to resolve the issue with Apple Pay.

Jan 29, 2024 3:42 AM in response to Ahmad3055

I solved by getting a new device from Apple at the Genius Bar. As far ad I understood if you are able to set up cards on Apple pay but you are not able to pay in phisical stores with your device, you have an hardware issue and either they change the nfc module or they replace the phone. Before the replacement the Apple support sales me to try to:

• reset settings
  • restore iPhone in recovery mode
  • set up iphone as new one without a backup recovery

if after the above activities you are still not able to set up cards or pay…set up an appointment at Genius Bar and ask for a replacement.

with the replaced phone and after 1 month of normal usage and updates no more issue!

(to be honest i’ve never charged the phone via wireless chargers…i’m too scared about possibile results after the BMW Issue)

Sep 29, 2023 6:55 PM in response to Bewlaybrother

Iphone 15pro same exact problem worked fine for a week then suddenly woke up yesterday morning september 28th and apple pay no longer worked. tried multiple different stores with it. none worked. 7/11's machine actually gave me a notice saying "application not supported insert chip card" all the rest just canceled transactions. (they did not decline the charge just asked i insert chip card and canceled transaction.) im assuming many people are having this issue from the looks of reddit forums upon googling the problem. hopefully apple sends out a patch update soon because it seems to be a software issue on the 15 pro and pro max devices running ios 17.0.2

Sep 30, 2023 2:24 PM in response to Bewlaybrother

This what happens when multiple people comment to the same post. Everyone poster has a different issue and don’t read who the comments are directed towards.

Bewlaybrother — I’d suggest you contact Apple support and have them do remote diagnostics on your iPhone. Your description and troubleshooting steps point towards an NFC hardware issue. You can also make an appointment for the Genius Bar at a nearby Apple Store if it’s convenient.

Please call 1-800-MY-APPLE for phone support. If you prefer an in person appointment, please use the link below to schedule an appointment.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Oct 3, 2023 12:34 PM in response to Bewlaybrother

I have an Iphone 15 Pro Max. IOS 17.0.2 Mine wasn't working either. Deleted all cards, re-entered manually. Logged out of all Icloud accounts. Re-entered the cards. Re-booted the device. Diagnostic came back fine. Then they suggested I remove the case (a magsafe "compatible" case -- with the little circle/line pattern 0- in the back). It worked without the dang case.

Sep 30, 2023 5:46 AM in response to Jeff Donald

Hi thanks for replying. Firstly I had no probs with my previous iPhone 12 Pro Max, only started after adopting new phone. I have signed in and out of iCloud, restarted phone numerous times, deleted wallet app and re-installed, deleted all cards and re-installed them. Tried using AP at numerous shops, same problem everywhere. I stepped short of re-setting phone, leaving this as last resort, due to time and effort to reset up. I might have to do this, or contact apple support.

Apr 19, 2024 4:15 PM in response to Bewlaybrother

Same issue. New iPhone 15 Pro. ApplePay (via NFC) virtually never works on this phone. Was fine on my old 12 Pro Max, but after switching to the 15 Pro, I've had maybe 3 or 4 times where it's worked and dozens or more times where it didn't. Double tap side button, choose Apple Card and hold the phone near the reader and nothing. No beep, no acknowledgement in the app, nothing.

Have tried a few things:

• Take off clear Apple MagSafe case - Nothing
  • Turn off VPN - Nothing
  • Uninstall / reinstall Apple Card - Nothing
  • Restart the phone - Nothing

In chat support diagnostics and now in person at the Genius Bar everything checks out with the NFC chip. In person at the Apple Store, the Genius helping me had me try various taps on his NFC reader and it worked every time. I was even able to make a dummy purchase with Apple Pay at the store. However, in the wild, it simply doesn't work as though the software handshake between my card and the reader never happens and the app simply does nothing.

It's not the end of the world, but it's a bummer. I'd prefer to use Apple Pay for everything and receive my cash back for doing so, but always end up resorting to using the physical card when it fails.

Sep 28, 2023 8:50 AM in response to Bewlaybrother

Please log out or Apple ID Account and restart your iPhone. After iPhone restarts, add cards and attempt a transaction.

Another alternative is to contact Apple Support and have them run remote diagnostics on iPhone and verifying NFC is working. If remote diagnostics is inconclusive, make an appointment at nearby Apple Store Genius Bar.

1-800-MY-APPLE

Oct 4, 2023 6:41 PM in response to Bewlaybrother

I had my iphone 15 plus for around two days, and the apple pay issue arises. although I happen to have a BMW too.

However, from what I can see, this seems to be a general issue not bounded to BMW.

I ended up to return the phone to apple store and use my old iphone 12 pro again because I don't have time to get it repaired and I need apple pay/wallet as my car key.

BTW, I have pretty good tech savvy so I did try to reinstall the OS and nothing worked, it seems to be more a NFC hardware issue than a software glitch.

iPhone 15 Pro Max Apple Pay not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.