Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone keeps asking for Outlook password

It seems that since updating to iOS 17.1.1 my iPhone 12 Pro keeps asking for my outlook.com email password. I have deleted and recreated the account and rebooted my iPhone but the issue continues. I also deleted the account and re-recreated it as an exchange account (still using the outlook.com address). No help. Any help is appreciated. This is also happening on my iPad running ipados 17.1.1.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12 Pro

Posted on Nov 10, 2023 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2023 1:16 PM

I had a live.com account that was giving the pop-up (but still loading messages in Mail) so I knew the password was entered correctly. What fixed it for me was re-adding it as an Outlook account in Mail Settings, rather than Microsoft Exchange. Not exactly your issue but possibly related.

281 replies

Nov 13, 2023 11:52 AM in response to Bud in PA

Here is what I did to solve the problem go to settings open up Mail tap accounts, then tap the account that’s giving you the prompt. It should then ask you for your Microsoft password for that account. Enter your password and that should do it. It appears every time you do an update it logs you out of your Microsoft account so you have to reenter your password.

Jan 29, 2024 2:38 AM in response to Bud in PA

It seems Microsoft have made some changes and stopped ALL protocols from connecting with Outlook.com mailboxes.

Their current workaround suggestion is to browse to Outlook.com on the web and use Webmail ☹

See their acknowledgement of a fault here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/outlook-and-other-apps-are-unable-to-connect-to-outlook-com-f4202ebf-89c6-4a8a-bec3-3d60cf7deaef

Nov 12, 2023 8:13 AM in response to Kens Ipod

I don’t believe it’s the iOS. I am currently on 16.6.1 (I haven’t updated in a bit) and I am constantly having to renter my password for outlook. It got to the point where I got locked out and had to change my password, TWICE! Not sure if it’s the app or something else, but I don’t think it’s the iOS, since I’m still running 16.

Nov 13, 2023 11:53 AM in response to Bud in PA

Here is what I did to solve the problem go to settings open up Mail tap accounts, then tap the account that’s giving you the prompt. It should then ask you for your Microsoft password for that account. Enter your password and that should do it. It appears every time you do an update it logs you out of your Microsoft account so you have to reenter your password.

Less

Jan 25, 2024 6:46 AM in response to Bud in PA

I do not believe this is an iPhone / iOS issue. I did not upgrade to version 17.3 but the day it was release, and Apple's backend was changed, this message started appearing ..... AGAIN.

This scenario has repeated for each of the 17 releases, regardless of what you use on your i'ish device.

Apple has to fix. Potentially, as one user suggested, an update to your device app might fix. I know I'm certainly getting tired of this. I installed the Outlook mail app to use when I cannot count on one of the largest, if not the largest, tech companies in the world to deliver a functioning mail app.

iPhone keeps asking for Outlook password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.