Mail keeps asking for hotmail password

Mail keeps asking for my hotmail password on my iPhone and iPad. I deleted and reinstalled the account and I deleted and reinstall the mail app.

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 10, 2023 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2024 11:15 PM

So, the fix is to go to the Hotmail / Microsoft website and sign in manually instead of using Apple mail or another mail program.

Hotmail has a new user agreement you must agree to or they keep making your account irritating to use.

11 replies

Jan 23, 2024 6:18 PM in response to hank158

Have had the same issue for years and I've found that the fix is to delete your account and reinstall like normal, but under Outlook.com option. If that's what you're already using then reinstall under Microsoft Exchange option. I've been going back and forth between those two options for like seven years. Couldn't tell you why any of this happens, but this has always fixed it. Good luck

Nov 14, 2023 5:26 PM in response to TonyCPA72

Same, I see many threads on the Microsoft community support forum too.

one Microsoft response from years ago said: We recommend using the Outlook for iOS app instead.

one person said they got an Apple engineer to blame Microsoft/outlook which is the new Hotmail.

if it’s been happening since 2020, I doubt Microsoft has done anything recently. Everyone says no troubleshooting has worked. Other email providers work fine and outlook app works fine. Maybe it’s a shared problem neither make much money from fixing. 🤷‍♂️

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/outlook-mail-account-errors-server-and-password/f530aed1-2970-4906-ab44-af446e8db686

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/the-apple-mail-app-keeps-signing-me-out-of-my/4f263540-3253-4ee1-8899-9760cfd974a8

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook_com/forum/all/mail-app-on-iphone-keeps-asking-me-to-re-enter-my/4e5d98fe-7305-4aac-a36e-f931a9faaccb

Apr 18, 2024 10:29 AM in response to hank158

I've just about had it with this issue. It happened for several weeks about a year ago, the year before that and then recently, for the last 3 weeks. Almost daily mac mail app / iPhone says I need to input my hotmail password as well as my saying my Microsoft Teams password is incorrect. So I change them. Then it says I've tried too many times today - to try again tomorrow.

I know neither wants to spend money on this issue (Outlook / Apple) but frankly, if Apple want us to continue using their products which, after buying Office 365 you are supposed to be able to use for business (mostly Microsoft based) then I think it's Apple's issue. I've approached an IT guy about it and he says that's why he doesn't use Apple (most don't).

It's not as simple as moving my email address to another provider as I've had this one for 25 years and a lot of information is stored on it.

The more people that write in and complain the sooner something will get done about it.

Nov 10, 2023 9:30 AM in response to hank158

hank158 wrote:

Mail keeps asking for my hotmail password on my iPhone and iPad. I deleted and reinstalled the account and I deleted and reinstall the mail app.

Could be if you're using apple mail app or other 3rd party app, you need to use an app specific password to access your account.

to confirm that contact Hotmail support or look at their support site

Mail keeps asking for hotmail password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.