📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

tvOS 18 is now available

Updates elevate cinematic experiences and make it even easier to manage the home. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV setup with Harman Kardon

I have an Apple TV 4K 3rd generation, a Samsung Smart TV (not 4K) and a Harman Kardon Dolby Surround 5.1 system. My TV is attached to my HD with HDMI (image) and SDIF (sound). My Apple TV is connected with the TV with HDMI, and in settings my structure changed to Dolby Digital. My question is, is this the best way to connect my Apple TV to my TV/Surround?

Suggestions are welcome. I have now the idea that my HK isn’t used the most useful way.

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on Nov 11, 2023 12:53 AM

7 replies

Nov 12, 2023 4:24 AM in response to Erwinvos72

• You could use HDMI instead of S/PDIF (Apple TV → TV → receiver). That may have less re-encoding, although I doubt that most users can hear a difference.
  • You could have the AV receiver as hub in between the TV and external player boxes (Apple TV → AV receiver ⇄ TV) [ARC between AV receiver and TV]. That could be beneficial if you have more devices to switch between and have use for extra HDMI ports. Video passthrough may be limited to the specifications of the AV receiver, so probably 1080p SDR for your model, which is fine when that matches the TV. If you also use the TV without HDMI input through the receiver (e.g. antenna/cable directly), then the AV receiver in the middle requires ARC ports on the TV and receiver. If no ARC ports are available, and the receiver isn’t used for video input, then better set up as Apple TV → TV → receiver instead.

Nov 11, 2023 7:15 AM in response to Erwinvos72

Harman Kardon Dolby Surround 5.1 system

Can you give a model number, so that we may look up specs?

My TV is attached to my HD

Did you mean Harman Kardon? Else what is “HD” referencing?

My Apple TV is connected with the TV with HDMI, and in settings my structure changed to Dolby Digital.

That is recommended when using S/PDIF.

My question is, is this the best way to connect my Apple TV to my TV/Surround?

That will work perfectly fine. There could be other solutions if the audio system has HDMI ports. But if it doesn’t, then your setup is as good as it can get.

Nov 13, 2023 7:32 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi,

I did a test. Connected my ATV to my AVR on HDMI3 and my AVR to my TV (HDMI OUT - HDMI 1).

I changed the structure on my ATV to Dolby Digital 5.1 and in my belief the sound is better.

The only I still notice is when people speak I hear spikes in the voices. Could that be an issue that I use older HDMI cables for the ATV which is the 4K version, combined with an old AVR and TV (no 4K). Or could it be the optical cable I use from my AVR to my TV?

Nov 13, 2023 8:16 AM in response to Erwinvos72

Update: again I walked through the ATV sound settings.

Audio-Output: only option is TV speakers, not my AVR

Audiostructure: Dolby-Digital 5.1

Reduce Hard Sounds: On

put the I noticed a kalibration section and for audio. I had to used my iPhone, he kalibrates the sound of my TV Speakers and now it hears better than before the kalibration.

I am looking for a new set and TV so I can use Dolby atmos etc. For know i am satisfied

Apple TV setup with Harman Kardon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.