You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 8 will not pair with Apple Watch 4

I have been given an Apple Watch 4 that I want to pair with an Iphone 8. The phone can "see" the watch but will not Pair. I am able to pair the watch on my iphone 12 with out any issues. is this because the Watch now needs a phone capable of running IOS 17 ? Apparently Apple do not support IOS 17 for iphone 8

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 1:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2023 2:06 PM

Thanks Bob. Is it possible to roll back the OS on the watch ?

8 replies

Nov 14, 2023 2:47 PM in response to gleng1962

It is a 6 year old device, as it was first released September 2017.

watchOS 10 needs needs an iPhone running iOS 17, and iOS 17 needs an iPhone Xs or newer.

Technology moves fast, and advances such that older devices do not have the power needed to run the latest software.

You should see if Apple will downgrade the Apple Watch Series 4 to watchOS 9, then you can use it with your iPhone 8.

Nov 19, 2023 4:05 PM in response to gleng1962

gleng1962 wrote:

Hi Bob, I have done a bit of searching on this issue, and it seems that there are a lot of ****** off people complaining about the same issue. Are Apple likely to listen to the people and reverse a bad decision or just ignore us?

Since iPhone Xs is the oldest iPhone that support iOS 17 and Apple Watch watchOS 10 is the current watch release, I am guessing that the iPhone 8 is too old and does not have sufficient RAM to support iOS 17.

So chances are Apple is not going to suddenly make iOS 17 work on the iPhone 8.

As for complaints, chances are it is far less than the 1.8 billion iPhone users, and that is the population Apple is working to keep happy. And keeping them happy means new features, or they are going to wonder off to an Android product.

But I am just a user like you. I do not have any say in Apple operating system decisions.

Iphone 8 will not pair with Apple Watch 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.