Newsroom Update

watchOS 11 brings powerful health and fitness insights. Learn more >

How do I get my Apple Watch to play Music on my earbuds rather than my iPhone?

I have apple watch 7+ and iphone 13 and have galaxy buds.

Before then, i had iphone Se and

when i connect my buds to apple watch and play music/podcast via apple watch, it plays music via galaxy buds.

now, with my new phone, it always plays music/podcast on my iphone even though my galaxy buds is connected to my watch.

when i click on music/podcast, i can see on upper right side that it's still connected to iphone and i cannot change anything.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

i want to do workout without my phone but the thing is, my gym is not big, so my apple watch is always connected to my phone even though i leave my phone in the locker. what should i do????

and it's even more annoying because it happened after i got a new phone.

Apple Watch Series 7, watchOS 10

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 11:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2023 7:26 AM

I have a similar setup: AW Ultra, iPhone 14 Pro Max, and 3rd party earbuds/headphones. Doesn't matter what I connect to headphone-wise, the default "speaker" is my phone... which is absolutely a broken system.

EVERY time I want to use my watch for music, I have to tap the morphing icon in the top right corner that *always* looks like a phone. That opens up the "airplay" options, of which my watch is *never* an option until I "select other airplay device" or whatever. THEN I have to select my watch to play music, which... I'm sorry--this is just stupid. Apple, FIX THIS. It worked fine before; you can make it work fine again.... you're just not. So please get on this.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2023 7:26 AM in response to UserA7777

I have a similar setup: AW Ultra, iPhone 14 Pro Max, and 3rd party earbuds/headphones. Doesn't matter what I connect to headphone-wise, the default "speaker" is my phone... which is absolutely a broken system.

EVERY time I want to use my watch for music, I have to tap the morphing icon in the top right corner that *always* looks like a phone. That opens up the "airplay" options, of which my watch is *never* an option until I "select other airplay device" or whatever. THEN I have to select my watch to play music, which... I'm sorry--this is just stupid. Apple, FIX THIS. It worked fine before; you can make it work fine again.... you're just not. So please get on this.

Nov 15, 2023 6:15 AM in response to da__ta123

I have the same problem and it started when I updated the Watch OS to version 10. I was outside ready to go running with AirPods in my ears and the apple watch. The AirPods were connected to the apple watch. On the apple watch I turned on the music and the watch defaults to playing the iPhone speakers waking up my wife in the house. Totally silly default behavior.

I fixed it by turning off the wifi on the watch. Later when messing with it I learned it can also be changed by going through airplay and selecting the headphones.

But as default behavior this is broken. Why would I pair headphones then try to play music through my iPhone speakers. Bad apple. The apple watch also shows music I have not downloaded to the watch...and I cannot find a feature to disable that except by turning off the wifi. I wish the watch would assume it is stand alone rather than assume I want to use it as a tiny remote for the iPhone which is annoying.

Apple Watch Ultra 1

Apple iPhone iPhone 14 Pro

Apple AirPods pro 1

May 27, 2024 1:46 AM in response to Cgh001

This should help. Once you’ve connected them to your watch all you need to do is leave the phone at home open Bluetooth and select your buds. I use mine like this all the time. If you have apple earbuds it’s automatic if you use non apple its as above and as per guide in link.

Connect Apple Watch to Bluetooth headphones or speakers – Apple Support (UK)

Mar 30, 2024 12:14 PM in response to da__ta123

Yeah it's ultra broken. i experienced it more broken than y'all reported, today, because even toggling the wifi AND bluetooth off in the phone control center doesn't actually work on the watch, the watch is an "exception" to those toggles, which might be convenient in the day to day when what you really mean by toggling that is to disconnect bluetooths that arent your watch...

Only once i went to bluetooth settings proper in my phone to toggle it off did the watch actually enter "no phone connection" mode (w the red no phone icon in the dot area up top). and then it would play from itself and properly pair to my airpods. My phone musta started playing the song 5x while i fumbled with it for 20 mins. unreal.

Jun 2, 2024 3:24 PM in response to slu4

I don't think Apple intended to be half-baked functionality. It's just broken.

To leave my phone behind to get it to work the way the documentation says is both untenable and undesirable in my case. For instance I'd like to be able to listen to music while in the bed without needing to light up the entire room and wake the wife by turning on the phone to adjust what I'm listening to.

In it's non-working current state, that's impossible.

How do I get my Apple Watch to play Music on my earbuds rather than my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.