How can I reorder tracks in a Music smart playlist?

Once I have set up a smart playlist selection criteria (e.g., artist and rating), I want to reorder the tracks so they play in a desired order. Clicking and dragging them to a different position doesn’t work.

Model Identifier: iMac14,3

System Version: macOS 10.15.7 (19H2026)

Music version 1.0.6.10

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 14, 2023 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 10:07 AM

Carl, Before you give up, please try the following.

1. Open the playlist.
  2. Set it for View > As Songs.
  3. Then set it for View > Sort By > Playlist Order.

Now can drag-n-drop can move songs up and down the list?

9 replies

Nov 14, 2023 7:56 PM in response to CarlDR

CarlDR Said:

"How can I reorder tracks in a Music smart playlist?"

-------

Manipulating a Smart Playlist:

No. What you are looking to perform is not an option, as of this reply. You can create and add items to a Smart Playlist. But, once created, you cannot manipulate it.

So, Recommend this to Apple:

Do your Part: Report this to AppleApple may not get back to you directly, but the more feedback Apple receives on this, the more they will know what is their customers prefer, and what and what features to include in updates to come. Apple will know nothing of your thoughts, if you don't provide them with them.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Feature Request" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that you want this to be an option and why. Include the URL to this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Nov 16, 2023 9:15 AM in response to picas

Click & drag tracks to a different smart playlist order doesn’t work with my version of Music (1.0.6.10). To upgrade to the latest Music version that apparently does have this feature, I need to replace my 2013 iMac with a new model that supports a MacOS newer than Catalina, which probably means replacing my Time Capsule/Machine/whatever, KB, trackpad, etc.

Meanwhile, I found that I can work around this annoyance by selecting the tracks in the smart playlist and adding them to a regular playlist that allows click & drag reordering.

Nov 16, 2023 9:54 AM in response to CarlDR

CarlDR Said:

"How can I reorder tracks in a Music smart playlist?: I did report this, but doubt that Apple cares, since it is a problem with an obsolete version of MacOS (Catalina 10.15.7). Based on other replies below, I gather that Music has fixed this in its newer versions, which means I need to replace my entire iMac suite (hardware, software & peripherals) to fix.

———-

About Feedback:

No worries, having reported this, they’ll give a hoot because they’ll know what’s going on. So, thanks for reporting it. It will help many for certain!

If something was fixed in the newer version, then it’s probably all due to feedback. During the days of COVID, the WHO(World Health Organization) demanded that technology be created, such as apps and notifications of sorts in regards to current events (like extravaganza in your current area).

Music might not be a worldwide emergency, but the WHO providing feedback on app creation is a pure example of how Apple receives feedback from others, and then endorses it for time to come.

How can I reorder tracks in a Music smart playlist?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.