Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iOS 17 is a restore from backup nightmare

This is significantly more difficult than previous OSs if you've already gotten rid of the old phone or if it's dead. (if you still have the phone and it;s not wiped yet it's easy because you can restore from the old phone itself -- it's iCloud backups that are Microsoft-level complicated: Here are some challenges to look out for:

• Initially, you must setup WiFi from a wired modem/router setup. Your new phone will not recognize a hotspot from your old phone. Essentially don't try to set up the new iPhone on your way home from the store. Just wait until you get home because it will not see the hotspot in the list of WiFis.
  • If you've already updated the OS to 17.1.1, then you cannot restore from backup. Not on the first try.

-First, set up the phone as new, don't bother setting anything up because you're just going to delete it in 20 min.

-DO NOT start with restore from backup. This is why this is Microsoft UX -- makes no gd sense.

-if you do start with a "restore from backup" you will inevitably get to a screen with one option "Back" becuase it will not restore a 17.1.1 OS on 17.0 -- this makes sense, but unlike previous OSs Apple forgot to include an OS update in the setup. If you got here as it says 17.x.x required, your only option is to start over and go back < back < back < back to the beginning and set up as new.

• Once you set up the phone as new, immediately turn off icloud backup so you don't have multiple useless backups
  • then upgrade the OS
  • then delete all content and settings just like you're selling the phone
  • then you can start over -- at this point it should behave correctly and you can restor from a backup

At some point iOS 17 had a very confusing screen asking for your spouse's Apple ID to restore apps purchased by their account. Nerither I nor Apple Support has any idea how her purchaces could be on my phone, which as always associated with my Apple ID and never hers. I guess ignore that, but I honestly have no idea how this can happen.

I'm also providing feedback to Apple because this is the worst UX I've seen from them since the Apple TV physical remote. Perhaps the UX team accidentally hired an ex-Microsoft engineer who thinks they are a designer.

Posted on Nov 17, 2023 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2023 11:21 AM

I wasn't going to restore from iCloud until I was on proper wireless of course, but 5G should be plenty fast enough to do basic iPhone-level data communication prior to the restore.

My point is, it's just a much buggier upgrade experience than previous OSs -- especially on the UI/semantic level, and I think I found *all the hiccups*. So sharing my experience.

If you've seen my feedback to Microsoft you'd know I'm being very gentle. MS is the worst offender of bonkers semantics and convoluted UI. This is just complaining about stuff that Apple should know better.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2023 11:21 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I wasn't going to restore from iCloud until I was on proper wireless of course, but 5G should be plenty fast enough to do basic iPhone-level data communication prior to the restore.

My point is, it's just a much buggier upgrade experience than previous OSs -- especially on the UI/semantic level, and I think I found *all the hiccups*. So sharing my experience.

If you've seen my feedback to Microsoft you'd know I'm being very gentle. MS is the worst offender of bonkers semantics and convoluted UI. This is just complaining about stuff that Apple should know better.

Nov 17, 2023 10:04 AM in response to Ahab the Eskimo

I had an issue with Quick Start when I got my new phone so I restored it from my back up. I had not problems. It worked exactly the way it always has.

Of course, I would never try to set up my new phone while "on the way home from the store". You should always make sure you have a stable internet connection and can plug the phone into the mains before setting it up.

Nov 19, 2023 11:26 AM in response to Ahab the Eskimo

FOR THE RECORD: nobody can explain what it means when it's asking for my spouse's Apple ID or how multiple Apple IDs were associated with apps on the old phone, and I have no idea still which apps were in question in the first place regarding her Apple ID on my new phone backed up from my Apple ID. Apple Support could not explain this.

iOS 17 is a restore from backup nightmare

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.