Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Complicated backup and iTunes recognition procedure

We have an iPhone 8 with iOS 13. This was purchased after our iPhone 5S died a year ago. At the time we only had Mavericks running on a Mac and it couldn't sync with iOS13. I believe when we bought the iPhone 8 we first synced the 5S to iCloud in the Apple Store, then restored from iCloud to the 8 in the Apple Store. However, since then it has not been backed up. My spouse does not like "things being in iCloud where they are not safe", hence no more iCloud backups, and iTunes backups were not possible.

Yesterday I upgraded the Mac to El Capitan and iTunes to 12.8.3 (well, 12.8 something, the latest Apple offered for El Cap.). Connected the iPhone but of course even though the 5S backups from 1+ years ago showed, the new phone was not recognized. iTunes asked if we wanted to either restore the iPhone 8 from a 1+ year old backup or set up as new. Definitely not.

My thoughts: Talk my spouse into backing up to iCloud once now. Then connect the phone to iTunes 12 so they get to know each other and let iTunes 12 restore the year old backup since something has to be allowed to finish the handshake. Unplug from iTunes, then set up the phone to restore again and this time restore to the iCloud backup we just did. Connect the phone back to iTunes and backup to iTunes this time. Turn off iCloud backup.

1) Does this sound like what we need to do or is there a better way?

2) We don't want to do an iOS upgrade as part of this, but I presume the "forgot passcode" type of restore will only restore data, not touch the iOS?

3) I am a bit uncertain about what to do in terms of turning on and off iCloud backup, if and when. Clearly I need it on at times but I wouldn't want something horrible happening such as just after putting the old 5S data on the phone and then the phone trying to save that data as the sole backup iCloud holds before we can get the desired data back on. I think my spouse does use iCloud for contacts so then we'd be having different versions competing when we have the 5S data on the phone and her current versions in iCloud.

4) If we turn off iCloud backup on the phone what actually happens to the backup we just did? For that matter is the iCloud backup we did a year ago from the 5S still hanging around in iCloud just as my spouse fears?

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 12:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2020 7:30 PM

1. There is a better way. You need to set up as a new device. This very confusing wording allows iTunes to access your device for the purpose of backing it up and then, should you choose, syncing content to it. Setting up as a new device, in itself, should not change anything on the device. That said there is absolutely no harm in backing up to iCloud first as a precaution.
  2. Restore from backup should restore into whatever version of iOS is currently on the device, assuming it is the same or newer than the backup. Restoring a backup will archive it and create a new one, so there are space implications to a restore.
  3. Given there is a better way you don't need to worry about multiple backups and restores or temporarily restoring an old backup. I'm not entirely sure what the implications would be for iCloud contacts either. In general I'd recommend using iCloud as the primary backup and making manual backups from time to time in iTunes. You don't get to plan when your device gets lost, stolen or corrupted and in need of restore. An iCloud backup is much more likely to be up to date. Having both gives you options should one not work when needed.
  4. I think the iCloud backup stays in place unless you actively delete it. See Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support to review what is stored in iCloud.

It will be iTunes 12.8.2.3 by the way.

tt2

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2020 7:30 PM in response to Limnos

1. There is a better way. You need to set up as a new device. This very confusing wording allows iTunes to access your device for the purpose of backing it up and then, should you choose, syncing content to it. Setting up as a new device, in itself, should not change anything on the device. That said there is absolutely no harm in backing up to iCloud first as a precaution.
  2. Restore from backup should restore into whatever version of iOS is currently on the device, assuming it is the same or newer than the backup. Restoring a backup will archive it and create a new one, so there are space implications to a restore.
  3. Given there is a better way you don't need to worry about multiple backups and restores or temporarily restoring an old backup. I'm not entirely sure what the implications would be for iCloud contacts either. In general I'd recommend using iCloud as the primary backup and making manual backups from time to time in iTunes. You don't get to plan when your device gets lost, stolen or corrupted and in need of restore. An iCloud backup is much more likely to be up to date. Having both gives you options should one not work when needed.
  4. I think the iCloud backup stays in place unless you actively delete it. See Manage your iCloud storage - Apple Support to review what is stored in iCloud.

It will be iTunes 12.8.2.3 by the way.

tt2

Dec 27, 2020 8:10 PM in response to Limnos

Limnos wrote:

It'll be a backup of an iOS13 device restored 30 seconds later back into the the same device (iPhone).

You shouldn't need to restore it. Once the first back is done you'll be good to make others.

Re. #4, the link you provide says: "iCloud backups are available for 180 days after you disable or stop using iCloud Backup." It's been more like 330 days.

Cool. Makes sense not to keep them indefinitely.

This will also help me. I will have a Mojave partition on my computer which I will use almost exclusively for backing up my iPhone SE (old version) with iOS12. It too has never been connected to my computer. I'm just a tad worried that I may have some old, free apps on it that originally were great freeware but have since been modified into horrible ad-laden things. My understanding is they will be replaced with whatever is currently available and will be the "improved" versions.

iTunes stopped managing apps back in version 12.7. If you don't have automatic updates enabled then what you have stays put, but if you restore from backup then you'll get the current version from the store delivered over the air. There is the potential to backup what you have now by installing iTunes 12.6.5.3 and transferring your purchases. You'd likely need to create a separate library for managing apps as 12.6.5.3 won't load the 12.8.2.3 library. iTunes 12.6.5.3 is also the last version of iTunes that can transfer iPod clickwheel games to or from an iPod classic.

tt2

Dec 27, 2020 7:54 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for all the tips tt2! Typical Apple; "set up as new device" really gives the impression it is going to be erased and then left standing at the "sign in" and configure the device step.

It'll be a backup of an iOS13 device restored 30 seconds later back into the the same device (iPhone).

I'm with you on iCloud backups but it isn't my device, or computer. That's why I was having to recall roughly which iTunes version was on it. Yesterday I had to get my spouse to keep entering an admin. password to do anything to get this done (but I am the IT support in the house).

Re. #4, the link you provide says: "iCloud backups are available for 180 days after you disable or stop using iCloud Backup." It's been more like 330 days.

This will also help me. I will have a Mojave partition on my computer which I will use almost exclusively for backing up my iPhone SE (old version) with iOS12. It too has never been connected to my computer. I'm just a tad worried that I may have some old, free apps on it that originally were great freeware but have since been modified into horrible ad-laden things. My understanding is they will be replaced with whatever is currently available and will be the "improved" versions.

Dec 27, 2020 8:30 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks. I kind of have my own ways of determining which iTunes versions are in which OS version. ;-) I am going to be trying High Sierra as my daily OS on a 2012 iMac but feel it is time to upgrade from iTunes 7.5 on Mavericks. So I'll be using 9.2.1 on High Sierra. I really only use iTunes as a music player for my CD collection, I have a lot of old scripts, and I really don't like the layout Apple did with iTunes, particularly post iTunes 10. I've already tested iTunes 9 on El Capitan and High Sierra and it runs and will even display the iTunes Store (but I don't have a store account set up so that's as far as I have gone and normally have the store disabled anyway). The Mojave partition is in case I need to do something that requires the newest my computer is capable of running but I have other reasons for not wanting Mojave as my daily use OS. Since I'll be running iTunes 9.2.1 on High Sierra I'll need an iOS12 capable iTunes on another boot partition. I have tested having both iTunes 12 and 9 in ~/Applications on High Sierra and you can run one at a time but it is risky since if you accidentally start iTunes 12 but don't hold down the option key then your library is hopelessly updated. I just feel safer having iTunes 12 isolated in its own OS and will probably add it to High Sierra's Spotlight privacy list just to make sure it can't be accidentally added to High Sierra's Launch Services (https://superuser.com/questions/348930/how-to-prevent-applications-on-an-external-hard-drive-from-showing-up-in-the-op).

Complicated backup and iTunes recognition procedure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.