Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Customize toolbar grayed out on macbook Pro Big Sur

I recently upgraded to Big Sur on my old macbook pro. I want to add Messages and other things back to my menu bar (pops up at bottom of screen, as I want it to), but when I go to View>Toolbars>Customize Toolbar it is grayed out. How do I fix this to add things back to my menu/toolbar?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Nov 18, 2023 3:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2023 5:49 PM

Tivodvoti wrote:

I don't know where to find Messages on my Mac to drag it to the dock

you open the finder and choose "Applications" in the finder sidebar. you will find messages in there. and you can drag it from there and drop it on your dock.

so, some other Help thing I read suggested using View>Toolbars>Customize... but the customize toolbar options are grayed out.

"View>Toolbars>Customize" is how you customize toolbars on your apps. here's the toolbar for safari.

you find toolbars for your apps across the top of open app windows.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 18, 2023 5:49 PM in response to Tivodvoti

Tivodvoti wrote:

I don't know where to find Messages on my Mac to drag it to the dock

you open the finder and choose "Applications" in the finder sidebar. you will find messages in there. and you can drag it from there and drop it on your dock.

so, some other Help thing I read suggested using View>Toolbars>Customize... but the customize toolbar options are grayed out.

"View>Toolbars>Customize" is how you customize toolbars on your apps. here's the toolbar for safari.

you find toolbars for your apps across the top of open app windows.

Customize toolbar grayed out on macbook Pro Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.