Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Mac Studio M1 Connections and Functions?

It appears that all of the ports on the Thunderbolt, hub back of Studio display are output (upstream).

What about the Mc M1 Studio? Are all of those ports upstream, other than the Ethernet? Or is the HDMI downstream (input from device)?

Connections and Expansion

• Four Thunderbolt 4 ports with support for:
    • Thunderbolt 4 (up to 40Gb/s)
    • DisplayPort
    • USB 4 (up to 40Gb/s)
    • USB 3.1 Gen 2 (up to 10Gb/s)
    • Two USB-A ports (up to 5Gb/s)
    • HDMI port
    • 10Gb Ethernet
    • 3.5 mm headphone jack
  • On front (M1 Max):
    • Two USB-C ports (up to 10Gb/s)
    • SDXC card slot (UHS-II)

My goal is connecting an Xbox 360 with only a Composite cable on this model of Xbox which is supposed to be connected to a monitor or tv, and appears it cannot be done. Microsoft: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/xbox-360/console/connect-xbox-360-console-tv

My thoughts are tying that cable through a converter. I have found this one and it appears doable, IF the HDMI port on the Studio is downstream (input) Anyone?:

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-Cable-Support-Compatible-Slim/dp/B08RJCJKDB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?c=ts&keywords=Xbox+360+Cables+%26+Adapters&qid=1700402324&s=videogames&sr=1-1-spons&ts_id=14112951&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Or this one?: https://www.amazon.com/-/zh_TW/X360Cable/dp/B09B94CCX4

Posted on Nov 19, 2023 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2023 11:52 AM

In addition to what den.thed has already told you, the SPEED of the HDMI port out of the xBox is so fast, and HDMI 2.1 is so brittle, that it can not be adapted at all to anything else.

You need to connect the xBox display output cable DIRECTLY to a display on a fairly short HDMI ULTRA "48G" cable, and nothing else will do anything for you. No switching. no sharing. no merging. Direct cable connect or no picture.

Similar questions

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2023 11:52 AM in response to OutsideShooter

In addition to what den.thed has already told you, the SPEED of the HDMI port out of the xBox is so fast, and HDMI 2.1 is so brittle, that it can not be adapted at all to anything else.

You need to connect the xBox display output cable DIRECTLY to a display on a fairly short HDMI ULTRA "48G" cable, and nothing else will do anything for you. No switching. no sharing. no merging. Direct cable connect or no picture.

Nov 20, 2023 10:32 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant Bennet-Alder wrote:

The cable-end you pictured appears to my eye to be a HDMI connector, suitable for direct connection to a TV set or monitor. If it is NOT, please post a close up of its pins, or use this diagram:

The photo in his document appears to be of an HDMI connector, but he's talking about a "composite cable" and RCA jacks – something else entirely.

The linked X-Box Support article refers to

• Xbox 360 HDMI Cable
  • Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable
  • Xbox 360 VGA HD AV Cable
  • Xbox 360 Composite AV cable

The Composite AV cable is the LOWEST-spec connection method of any that the Xbox 360 supports. RCA plugs are the old round plugs used for stereo connections (e.g., connecting CD players to receivers) and carrying video from a NON-HDTV source to an old NTSC TV. They're just one step above a connection to a rabbit ears antenna, or to a coax cable.

According to the linked article, the cable has three color-coded RCA plugs:

• Yellow = composite video
  • Red = right-channel analog audio
  • White = left-channel analog audio

This is standard color-coding for RCA audio and video cables.

What the OP needs to understand is that NONE of the ports on the Mac Studio are video input ports – whether for HDMI, VGA, component video (three RCA plugs), or composite video (one analog RCA plug).

There might, or might not be capture cards that the OP could buy that would plug into one of the Studio's USB-C or USB-C / Thunderbolt ports, depending on the particular type of conversion that should be done. But if the OP needs a monitor for the Xbox, the OP would be much better off looking for a dedicated monitor or TV, or at least connecting the Xbox directly to a compatible second input on a standalone hardware monitor (NOT a 5K Studio Display, but something that had compatible hardware video input).

Nov 20, 2023 7:02 AM in response to OutsideShooter

Recent gaming consoles go straight to Highest-end HDMI, supporting 4K at high refresh rates. This is only possible if whatever cable you use is rated to the highest HDMI standard. The high voltage and high speed combination means anything you might want to use to switch or convert that signal will bet 'burn your skin' hot, and is impractical.

The cable-end you pictured appears to my eye to be a HDMI connector, suitable for direct connection to a TV set or monitor. If it is NOT, please post a close up of its pins, or use this diagram:

Nov 21, 2023 9:36 AM in response to Servant of Cats

These represent the proprietary Microsoft Xbox A/V cable out connector ends. The cable end I'm holding slides into the Xbox console and has no pins, but gold slide bars as connection points, thus proprietary.

I spoke with a rep from Elgato yesterday who isn't sure, but suggested I try one of their products with a 60 day return policy, no questions asked. Here is how it hooks up, assume the analog device on the right is the Xbox console

Here is the product, which is a video capture converter from analog signal via A/V device (Xbox using the composite cable pictured above) to computer Windows or Mac. So that's why I asked the questions about the ports on the Mac Studio being upstream (output) or downstream (input) when I opened this discussion. If the USB on the rear of the Mac M1 computer is a port that allows for both in/out then I can buy this to try it out.

I did find this on the HDMI port if this attempt fails: https://www.cnet.com/tech/mac-studio-ports-everything-you-can-plug-into-this-new-apple-device/

HDMI port 

What it does: HDMI ports connect with HDMI cables to send and receive video and audio between external devices, like displays and TVs.

The red and white are audio source while the yellow would be the video source

Any thoughts

And thanks to all who have stuck in there with me on this

Here is the link to the product: https://www.elgato.com/us/en/p/video-capture

Nov 20, 2023 5:25 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Grant, thanks for the details. So let me ask, the cable that comes With the Xbox, then has a split end, both supporting video/audio (RCA jacks) for different monitor/tv input ports, so are you thinking there is another port on the Xbox 360 that supports HDMI ULTRA 48 cabling?

AllI see is the RJ-45 Ethernet and USB-A ports. The only other ports are the Composite cable and the power cord

Or are you saying that the HDMI Ultra 48 cable is a converter cable from RCA jacks to monitor?

Nov 21, 2023 5:31 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Correct Grant, there is no guarantee. But if I don't try how will I ever know. I don't have room on my desk for a second monitor, unless I figure out another way to light my desktop well, so given the 60 money back guarantee, I may just as well give it a try. Just thought I'd run it by you far more experienced volunteers here, and I do thank you for your input.

If it doesn't, I may move along to the HDMI port, which by the way, no one has as of yet, unless I missed it conferred that it is capable of two-way data transfer

Nov 21, 2023 5:39 PM in response to den.thed

Den.thred, "Even if it does work......."

I can't know either until I try. And btw, my Apple Studio M1 and display, ran me right at $3500 because I didn't max either of them out. But the video resolution will only resolve at 1080 max and more than likely 720, not 4k because of the source 480/720 unless this doesn't work and the HDMI port is capable of two-way data transfer.

Thanks again for your input, you guys here are all very helpful

Nov 21, 2023 6:28 PM in response to OutsideShooter

You are not going to get 1080o ou 720p detail out of a composite video capture.

You might get that with a HDMI cable from the Xbox and an external HDMI capture “card” for the Mac. But I don’t know if that is going to give you full-resolution real-time display on the Mac or only the ability to capture non-DRMed video to a file. Some HDMI capture arrangements seem to assume that you will split the HDMI signal and view it during recording using a real monitor.

Nov 22, 2023 9:03 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Thanks Servant of Cats,

So I'm not sure if you missed this that I posted above but the Video Capture device (graphic in my former post) would effectively convert the composite RCA to an HDMI. I'm not suggesting it will improve the output resolution of the Xbox 360 itself, only that I can use the HDMI port as a means of receiving the video of a game.

But you also mentioned that the HDMI port on the Mac M1 will not function as a video input. And that's what I was wondering from the very beginning of this post. If that is correct then there is no point in going any further.

I did find this, (below) on the HDMI port of the Mac M1: https://www.cnet.com/tech/mac-studio-ports-everything-you-can-plug-into-this-new-apple-device/

HDMI port 

What it does: HDMI ports connect with HDMI cables to send and receive video and audio between external devices, like displays and TVs.

See if you find this article accurate

Nov 22, 2023 10:15 AM in response to OutsideShooter

OutsideShooter wrote:

Thanks Servant of Cats,

So I'm not sure if you missed this that I posted above but the Video Capture device (graphic in my former post) would effectively convert the composite RCA to an HDMI.

That's not what the product page says.

https://www.elgato.com/us/en/p/video-capture

The diagram clearly shows that the device plugs into a computer's USB-A port, and provides three RCA jacks into which you plug right-channel audio, left-channel audio, and composite video cables. No HDMI in there anywhere.

But you also mentioned that the HDMI port on the Mac M1 will not function as a video input. And that's what I was wondering from the very beginning of this post. If that is correct then there is no point in going any further.

Yes. That HDMI port is for video output only.

You would plug the El Gato Video Capture device into one of the Mac Studio's rear-panel USB-A ports. Or into one of its front- or rear-panel USB-C ports with the aid of an appropriate USB-C to USB-A adapter.

If you were trying to capture HDMI output from the Xbox (or from a HDMI splitter), you would need something specifically designed for HDMI capture. Something like one of these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?q=hdmi%20capture%20card&sts=ma

and software to go with it, if there's one here that is Mac-compatible.

I did find this, (below) on the HDMI port of the Mac M1: https://www.cnet.com/tech/mac-studio-ports-everything-you-can-plug-into-this-new-apple-device/

HDMI port 

See if you find this article accurate

CNET did not say that the Mac's HDMI port was for input. Their description implied that it was for output. They could have described the HDMI port on a DVD/Blu-Ray player in much the same terms …

Nov 22, 2023 4:41 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Well if you are really solid on the HDMI port of the Mac M1 not inputting video, then perhaps I'll have to try your suggested capture card method into the Studio display via one of the USB-C ports?

A little confusing that they mentioned receiving and sending though. Okay so the capture card you mentioned I also mentioned above and you have confirmed that using the USB-c cable.

Thanks much for your input

Nov 22, 2023 6:46 PM in response to OutsideShooter

OutsideShooter wrote:

Well if you are really solid on the HDMI port of the Mac M1 not inputting video

If you don't believe me that the HDMI port on the Mac Studio is only for video output, contact Apple Support.

then perhaps I'll have to try your suggested capture card method into the Studio display via one of the USB-C ports?

Where did I bring a Studio Display into this?

A little confusing that they mentioned receiving and sending though. Okay so the capture card you mentioned I also mentioned above and you have confirmed that using the USB-c cable.

I'm not confirming or guaranteeing anything about compatibility of particular capture cards or capture software. You need to research that for yourself. I've just been trying to point you in the right direction of what to look for, when doing your own research.

Mac Studio M1 Connections and Functions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.