Email from official apple "Activation Lock is Requesting Password for iPhone 6" which I lost or had stolen two years ago??

• Lost iphone 6 two years ago abroad
  • Set it to lost mode on find my
  • Lost mode has said pending ever since which told me the phone was dead/trashed or so I thought (Pic 2)

2 years later I get an email saying that the Activation Lock is Requesting Password for that iPhone. It was not a phishing email it was genuine apple address and didn't contain any links or ask me to enter anything. (Pic 1)

So my questions:

1. How could this email occur but findmy never updated and set the phone to lost mode? I.e. what could prompt it
  2. Is my data safe? The iphone is no longer listed in my settings screen but is still attached to findmy so would activation lock still work
  3. As a test I reset the phone to lost mode yesterday to check if it asked me to set a passcode, it didn't it just said existing passcode will be required. Does this guarantee that my phone had a passcode enabled at the time I lost it? (Pic 3)

Posted on Nov 19, 2023 2:50 PM

9 replies

Email from official apple "Activation Lock is Requesting Password for iPhone 6" which I lost or had stolen two years ago??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.