AppleCare+ Scam / Dishonest Service

My iPhone was stolen unlocked out of my hand on the street. I was subsequently totally locked out of my iCloud - after hours of back and forth with Apple Support I managed to get back in and the Support Team person I am speaking with admits to me that if a thief steals your phone unlocked they have the imitate ability to change your password which explained how I got locked out.

I then contact AppleCare+ to make my claim. I have a police crime report number too. I am told that because FindMyiPhone was off at the time of my claim that they were not liable to replace my phone. I file an appeal because I know categorically it was on. I also know categorically that the thieves turned it off because my friends were able to track my phone after the theft, for a short period of time until my device vanished from FindMyiPhone.

The woman who filed my appeal said that she was confident about my claim… I then get a response a few days later saying no, sorry, FindMyiPhone was off. You are not entitled to coverage - please do not reply to this email.

How on earth can this constitute as theft coverage?! If it is really so simple as for the thieves to turn off FindMyiPhone for you to loose all rights to coverage - that to me is completely dishonest and deceitful of Apple Care.

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 3:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 5:18 AM

A thief that steals your iPhone while you are using it effectively by-passes your pin and/or face id to take over the phone (and your phone user identity) including disabling FindMy. From the AppleCare+ perspective, it looks like you disabled FindMy, not the thief. An attorney would cost you more than a replacement phone, and I suspect this is an edge case that AppleCare+ theft/loss may not have considered for coverage.

Apple is not here. Just fellow users who volunteer their time in support of others, so no appeal here.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2023 5:18 AM in response to SebastianOreilly

A thief that steals your iPhone while you are using it effectively by-passes your pin and/or face id to take over the phone (and your phone user identity) including disabling FindMy. From the AppleCare+ perspective, it looks like you disabled FindMy, not the thief. An attorney would cost you more than a replacement phone, and I suspect this is an edge case that AppleCare+ theft/loss may not have considered for coverage.

Apple is not here. Just fellow users who volunteer their time in support of others, so no appeal here.

AppleCare+ Scam / Dishonest Service

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.